SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-09, 10:48 AM   #1
Brettus

Default Onboard footage, camcorder and givi plate

Well I got around to lashing my cheapy ebay camcorder to my bike, only place I could find was the motech rack, worked ok(ish) need a proper bracket though, want to try one of those tank mount ones, needs some shock absorbsion really though, its a bit bouncy.
Also doesn't seem to like when I give it the beans, exhaust interference/overload? the artifacts were on the camera they aren't from capture, weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhdtTIWXKs
the sound worked out better than I expected, thought it would be in the turbulence behind me, but works ok, the tank would be even better I'd guess with the DB screen.

sorry its kinda boring, just a section of my morning trip to work, didn't take the twisty route either for fear of rattling the camera to death on its first outing.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-09, 12:21 PM   #2
Steven T

Default Re: Onboard footage, camcorder and givi plate

This is actually quite impressive - was it just bungy's you used to secure the camera ? I've been looking at doing some camera-work myself but the camera mounts seem quite expensive.
Old 18-03-09, 12:29 PM   #3
Brettus

Yeah I had a bungee net sandwiched between a tripod mounting plate purely to prevent it falling off if it slipped out of the normal bungees grasp, then the normal bungee over the top and round the plate, got it over the top of the camera 3 times and was pretty solidly mounted.
the first time I tried it I had the net over the top too but after a bump one of the net parts caught the zoom and it just zoomed the road into nothingness doh!
I might have to admit defeat and actually buy one of the camera mounts but I'm loath to even spend the £30 for what is essentially a bit of bent metal but then a bit of moulded plastic (AKA a hugger) retails for £169, go figure.
need to mount the camera to the tank to see if the bounce is reduced really before I buy one, would hate to get one then be disappointed.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
Old 18-03-09, 12:32 PM   #4
dyzio
Mega Poster

Nice soundtrack dude Full Akra?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-09, 12:43 PM   #5
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyziowg View Post
Nice soundtrack dude Full Akra?
Hehe yep, baffle-less too, best £50 I ever spent
Quote:
Old 18-03-09, 12:47 PM   #6
dyzio
Mega Poster

£50?!?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-09, 12:53 PM   #7
Brettus

it may perhaps be a little....... crashed but I thought excellent candidate for stubbying (when I get round to it that is) its on the bike in its scratched state as I was impatient and its only the lower end cap that's scraped so not very noticeable, plus, its not how it looks is it? people don't see it when I'm overtaking which is when most people see the bike heh.

Although I'm hoping to go on the barmouth ride so you have made me bike conscious about it now LOL.
Quote:
Old 18-03-09, 01:03 PM   #8
markryker

Thumbs up Re: Onboard footage, camcorder and givi plate

Pretty decent that with the mounting you described, loved the exhaust note too
Renthal streetfighter bars, Carbon can co exhaust, tail tidy, seat cowl, rear hugger, front mud thingy, hel braided lines, clear indicator lenses,fairing lowers, crash bungs, k&N air filter, chewys mirror extenders
markryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-09, 11:47 AM   #9
Brettus

Hah, just played the full version of this on my HTPC with 5.1, it includes the noise our gate makes on it, sent the dog bonkers looking for me leaving/arriving (despite the fact he ran past me to look ) and he even followed where the noise would be as I pulled away!

he's now very confoozed

might try and record something more interesting this weekend, might try and strap it down on some padding too, see if that helps minimise the camera shake.
Quote:
Old 21-03-09, 08:22 PM   #10
pmapp
Mega Poster

What camera is it?

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote