SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 02-06-09, 03:05 PM   #1
Brettus

Default PR2 Alternatives?

Hi all,
Sorry for yet ANOTHER tyre thread but I've been reading through all the ones I could find and get the usual suspects suggested but I've got some input criteria so wondered if anyone could offer any advice based on that?

I have had the bike from new, wore out the stock dunlops in less than 7k, fitted a set of Pilot Road 2's and I absolutely love them, but I appreciate it would be blinkered to assume the first decent set I try are the best...

So, my question is, given that I like the feel of these, can anyone suggest comparable ones so that I'm not taking a backwards step?

I'm not due to replace just yet, 9k miles and still going pretty strong, a little squared but thats my fault obviously

Or alternatively is my theory wrong, if I like these am I best sticking with them? but then I guess I liked the Dunlops until I knew better LOL
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 03:06 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: PR2 Alternatives?

Dunlop RoadSmarts or Storm STs

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 03:09 PM   #3
petevtwin650

So let me get this clear. You have gotten 9 thousand miles from a set of Pilot Road 2s?
Old 02-06-09, 03:11 PM   #4
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
So let me get this clear. You have gotten 9 thousand miles from a set of Pilot Road 2s?
So far yes, You have seen me ride, I'm hardly agressive
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
Old 02-06-09, 03:19 PM   #5
petevtwin650

I'm gobsmacked. Well done to you Brettus

PR2s again would get my vote.
Old 02-06-09, 03:37 PM   #6
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
I'm gobsmacked. Well done to you Brettus
LOL for riding like a wuss? hehe, thanks anyhow

I definitely like the idea of dual compound as without it I think these would be bald in the middle and the edges barely used, these are definitely better worn on the edges.

Interesting stuff this tyre technology hehe.
Quote:
Old 02-06-09, 03:54 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

From most accounts the Michelin PR2s, and Dunlop Roadsmarts are a similar tyre in many respects, but may be worth a try for something different.

The ZX6R is currently wearing PR2s as they shop were out of roadsmarts when I went in.

The Diablo Stradas I had a little while ago were a single compound tyre which I got 10,500 or so miles from, including Lydden race circuit close to the end of their life. Good tyres.

Frankly, you'd be hard pressed to pick a bad tyre, but you might pick one you like or dislike the feel of.

Single compound choices:
Continental Road attack
Diablo Strada
Metzler Z6 Roadtec (same tyre as the Strada)
Avon Storm ST (a favorite of several on here for feel and wet weather grip)

Duel compound:
Michelin PR2s
Dunlop Roadsmarts
Bridgestone BT021 (seem not to have gained a big following on the SV, not to say they're bad tyres though)

Jambo
Old 03-06-09, 11:47 AM   #8
Geoffrey

i have switched from pr2 to avon storms recently following the comments and recommendations made on here, so far i find the storms much better
Old 03-06-09, 12:44 PM   #9
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
i have switched from pr2 to avon storms recently following the comments and recommendations made on here, so far i find the storms much better
Ah, now that's the kind of experience I was hoping to capture with the question, interesting, might give them a try.

Forums are ace, thanks for the input guys
Quote:
Old 04-06-09, 09:53 AM   #10
maff

intrestin thread. i commute to bristol every day and managed 11k+ out of my last PR2 rear, the present rear has just over 10k and now the summer is here i can put some curve back on it with a ride home from work avoiding the motorway 17k out of the front and had a new one fitted last week

i like the tyre, cant think of a single thing negative about them but due to the price rising id be keen to know if there is a cheaper alternative