SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-01-05, 11:49 AM   #1
lynw

Default Todays query.... Riding in Snow and Ice

ok aside from taking it very easy, is there any advice anyone has for riding in the above conditions? not going out in it isnt really an option for me...

When I came out of my road this morning, where all the cars had driven down there were 2 tyre tracks of ice where the snow had been compacted. At this point I made a concious decision to ride on the remaining uncompacted snow figuring that would be better than riding on a track of pure ice... does anyone else do this?

I was also at a max of 10 mph and keeping relatively near the kerb in case I had to put my foot down - figured easier to balance and not lose my footing if I was against the kerb....

oh and I phoned work and told them I wasnt leaving til 9ish when the sun had been out for a while and was thawing the road a bit... so got a lie in too

but if youre caught in snow/ice, or have to go out in it, what do you do?
would be interested to know....
Old 26-01-05, 11:55 AM   #2
mysteryjimbo

On main roads this way, the snow is generally clear so thats not so much a problem. On the quieter roads like you mention with the compacted snow it is a bit more difficult.

First off, ride in as high a gear as possible without stalling the engine (or spluttering). This reduces the risk of wheel spinning. Ideally you want to be pulling off in 2nd too.
Second, in the more dodgy spots i generally keep both feet hovering just above the surface and go no more than 10mph.

Any more?
Old 26-01-05, 11:56 AM   #3
nuntius

Some *******s fitted stabilisers (tacked them on) to my bike as a joke when I crashed it. I honestly wouldn't go out in the snow, but as you say, that's not a choice. Have you though about asking the garage for suitable tyres?
Old 26-01-05, 11:56 AM   #4
Iansv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
On main roads this way, the snow is generally clear so thats not so much a problem. On the quieter roads like you mention with the compacted snow it is a bit more difficult.

First off, ride in as high a gear as possible without stalling the engine (or spluttering). This reduces the risk of wheel spinning. Ideally you want to be pulling off in 2nd too.
Second, in the more dodgy spots i generally keep both feet hovering just above the surface and go no more than 10mph.

Any more?
seconded
Old 26-01-05, 11:59 AM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansv
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo

Any more?
seconded
Why, thank you..........

Didnt someone mention some supermoto tyres a while back that would fit the SV? I'll go check the tyre section!
Old 26-01-05, 12:03 PM   #6
lynw

just to add complications I have an oversize tyre on the back of the cbr with possibly a slow puncture...

hence one of my questions on the tyre pressures thread as to how quickly does a tyre lose pressure with heavy use and how does the weather affect this....

so Im keeping a very close eye on the rear tyre...

Im fortunate that the main road is only a mile away... and the main estate road was well used this morning... part of my worry is my road onto that is on a slope

but will note the gear issue... didnt realise wheel spin could be a problem...

thanks guys... handy to know these things and usually this is the stuff you learn by hard experience...
Old 26-01-05, 12:03 PM   #7
Patch

Consider riding closer to the kerb. Cars etc push the salt away from their wheels and it collects where they dont travel so you are less likely to find ice there.

You've got to ride as if you are off road so throttle control has to be delicate and do not touch the front brake at all, the advice about using your feet as stabilisers is sound.
Old 26-01-05, 12:07 PM   #8
Carsick

and don't panic when it does slide, cos it will at some point.
Old 26-01-05, 12:16 PM   #9
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuntius
Some *******s fitted stabilisers (tacked them on) to my bike as a joke when I crashed it.
Old 26-01-05, 12:17 PM   #10
Ceri JC

A colleague of mine who is a very experienced biker (100K miles plus on his current bike and he has had several bikes before that) won't ride in snow and ice. He's far from a jessy- he regularly trogs cross country in storms, sleet, etc.

Last time he tried it in the ice, he kept dropping the bike, ended up chaining it up, ringing work to say he couldn't get in and came back when it had thawed ut. The bike was still there and he rode it back home!