SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-07-19, 05:41 PM   #11
glang

Default Re: electric motorcycles

where did the 10k come from as their website is asking 31000 pounds for the lowest power model! I know there might be subsidies but I cant see our wonderful government being that generous....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 05:46 PM   #12
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
where did the 10k come from as their website is asking 31000 pounds for the lowest power model! I know there might be subsidies but I cant see our wonderful government being that generous....

OK so that's the RR version but the base model to quote,

The best bit of the whole thing by far though is just how cheap it is – a standard Strike is $12,998 (approx. £9895). If you want to go a bit further, or a bit faster, there are other models in the range too.
MCN 28/03/19

Just waiting for it to be released in the UK, probably more expensive than US, no doubt...

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 19-07-19 at 05:49 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 06:04 PM   #13
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
As with electric cars the real issue is not so much the range but how long it takes to charge. As it stands I tend to fill up my bike every 100 miles or so and when I do it takes me well under five minutes. Until leccy vehicles crack that one they will remain peripheral to mainstream transport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
I would argue the main issue with electric cars is inability to charge them.. There's maybe 8 cars outside inc mine, how many charge points do we need just for this cul-de-sac? Can't run an extention lead out because someones poor wee wain will trip and I'll get sued..

Then, you try to charge it at night during off-peak (cheaper) to find that with so many people charging at night, there's no longer an off-peak time(or it's now during the day!)

Then, they're not as green as portrayed to be. While you remove tailpipe emissions the electricity still needs to be generated, whether by wind,hydro,nuclear,coal/oil/gas/solar.

We're nowhere near capable of EV utopia, bikes yes wouldn't be hard to charge in garage or shed

Yes but thats part of the problem of how long it takes to refuel a leccy vehicle. If you just had to exchange your flat battery for a full one, taking about two minutes like putting petrol in, you wouldnt have to worry about where to park and how the wires were going to plug in. We are stuck in this recharging over a long time mentality and as long as we are leccy vehicles wont be mainstream.
Old 19-07-19, 06:08 PM   #14
Chris_SVS

Development would need to go into standard, interchangeable batteries then I guess, no different to going to a petrol station, drive in - change - pay - go..

Or something
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 06:33 PM   #15
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Thats the way I see it going-----or going nowhere.
Old 19-07-19, 09:14 PM   #16
punyXpress
Mega Poster

They haven't even got charging plugs & sockets to speak to each other yet!
Old 20-07-19, 08:20 PM   #17
Talking Heads

I like the idea of electric, if you do big commuting mileages they can work out cheaper overall than a similar spec petrol bike.
The Zero batteries have the longest warranty period of any motorcycle component you can buy in the UK.
The problem for me is the format, for me an electric maxi-scooter would be far more interesting as a commuting tool.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 09:22 PM   #18
glang

Thats exactly right, the biggest advantage of electric is when covering higher mileages especially round town so making sports bikes is missing the point. They just get used on a Sunday doing limited miles where, in the grand scheme of things, the expense of fuel and subsequent emissions are minimal. I suppose the electric manufacturers do it because its sexy and makes headlines....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 10:51 AM   #19
Scittyf

I think electric bikes are a better idea than cars as rolling mass it much lighter. Meaning less batteries and an increase in watts per mile.

I had an electric bike which I made using brushless hub motors and its really simple to get them working.

You really don't need much power to go distance.

As with all things electric as power is issued in a linear way if you need to go further you slow down. You only ever use the power to propel you. No gears etc as they aren't needed.

So you could have a sports car like a Tesla and it will do the same equivalent mpg or watts per mile as say a renault zoe... if driven at the same speeds.

It's the future. But the info structure is not here. And it's not moving fast enough. Any one with a battery ev only moans about that only. Nothing else about the car.

Look on forums like speak ev. Range is not usually the issue
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 11:38 AM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Development would need to go into standard, interchangeable batteries then I guess, no different to going to a petrol station, drive in - change - pay - go..

Or something
Problem for me with swapping the battery would be if I had a brand new or fairly new battery that I had looked after I may well be swapping it for an older abused battery. I know battery electric vehicles with new battery have algorithms to prevent top 20% and bottom 30% of battery being used to limit battery damage from over charging and over draining the battery. Not only does charging over 80% take a lot longer it will also damage battery, as will over discharging. That is why every BEV car claims quick charge times to 80% and not 100%. As the battery ages the algorithms allow more of the,battery to be used to maintain the optimistic range claimed by vehicle maker, and most have an 'emergency reserve' feature to allow bottom part of battery to be used if you find yourself with an apparently flat battery ( but still up to 30% charge remaining that the vehicle computer will not allow to be used during normal usage ). With swappable batteries the batteries would need to have some kind of ' memory of age and usage ' chip on board that the receiving vehicle could interrogate.

https://electrek.co/2018/05/04/are-y...ium-batteries/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/adv...makers-forgot/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 21-07-19 at 02:51 PM.
SV650rules is online now   Reply With Quote