SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-03-12, 10:27 AM   #1
RACEFIT_GLADDY

Default When making Exhaust modifications ask a professional, snapped exhaust stud.

.... Or risk looking like an idiot.. Just like me,

While fitting a new de-cat pipe to my bike, as i removed the pipe from the head one of the studs snapped while trying to remove it... I attempted to drill through the screw but the drill bit snapped inside , The net result is i am now running my bike with one stud and exhaust putty holding it in place until i can afford to pay somebody to remove the head and drill back through (a hefty job in itself) oh the joy!

On a the plus side, The bike now sounds so fantastic i have a permanent smile on my face, although a highly illegal smile

R_G

Last edited by RACEFIT_GLADDY; 27-03-12 at 11:52 AM.
Old 27-03-12, 12:38 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: When making Exhaust modifications ask a professional,

We've been here before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
You muppet. Do you not read the threads on this forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
I really mean this, unless they come off easily and immediately;

DO NOT try harder to undo them.

DO NOT try to remove the studs along with the nut.

Both methods run an extreme risk of snapping the stud. Cut alongside the thread with a hacksaw or similar to split the nut and then remove it, then clean up the thread, even if only with a wire brush.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-12, 03:15 PM   #3
WayneL

Default Re: When making Exhaust modifications ask a professional, snapped exhaust stud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEFIT_GLADDY View Post
.... Or risk looking like an idiot.. Just like me,

While fitting a new de-cat pipe to my bike, as i removed the pipe from the head one of the studs snapped while trying to remove it... I attempted to drill through the screw but the drill bit snapped inside , The net result is i am now running my bike with one stud and exhaust putty holding it in place until i can afford to pay somebody to remove the head and drill back through (a hefty job in itself) oh the joy!

On a the plus side, The bike now sounds so fantastic i have a permanent smile on my face, although a highly illegal smile

R_G
Oops. Sounds like it needs to get sorted soon, exhaust putty can only do so much.

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 27-03-12, 03:19 PM   #4
RACEFIT_GLADDY

Default Re: When making Exhaust modifications ask a professional, snapped exhaust stud.

Yeah, it's getting done easter weekend. getting a helicoil put in first, if that doesen't work the head will have to come off.
Old 27-03-12, 03:43 PM   #5
WayneL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEFIT_GLADDY View Post
Yeah, it's getting done easter weekend. getting a helicoil put in first, if that doesen't work the head will have to come off.
In the meantime, enjoy the sound!
Old 27-03-12, 03:49 PM   #6
monkey

Sid Squid, can I suggest you get that put in the how to bit of the main site if it isn't there already and maybe put a link in the how to articles as a sticky? There must be more than a few people who miss them altogether before searching the forum or asking questions.
Old 28-03-12, 10:01 AM   #7
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

I bought a second hand engine for the XJ550 and found on delivery that two studs had been snapped off. To make maters worse, the fools had tried to weld onto the stud and this just came away when we tried to sort it. It took two hours of careful drilling, starting with a tiny 1mm bit up to the size that caused the stud to crumble. Once out, I cleaned the thread with a tap and put new studs in. We replaced the lot just to make sure that it would not happen again for a while and put them in with copper slip, just to make getting them in nice and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 10:39 AM   #8
monkey

Nice.
Old 28-03-12, 10:42 AM   #9
DaveW_42

I have a head left over from when this exact thing happened to me - except I also snapped off a tap in there. Not very easy to remove!
Bought the head as was thinking I'd have to replace it but eventually (and I'm talking hours and hours of wiggling a tap removal tool) got it out. If you need it, give me a shout
Old 29-03-12, 08:06 AM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Good work, one problem though; very poor choice of 'beer'.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote