SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 19-02-07, 07:51 PM   #1
Sheila

Question How Long?

I know the answers are on here already somewhere probably but just bein lazy.. how long does it take to get your licence in the UK. When do you go for your first test after getting your learners, then to get Direct Access how long does that take? and how much does it all cost I had my licence transferred from my Ozzy one so I'm a bit Nieve!
Old 19-02-07, 08:28 PM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: How Long?

Don't ask me Sheila, in my day all you had to do was turn 17, not fall off in front of the examiner and you passed. He stood on the pavement with a clipboard and you went round the block, none of that fancy 'intercom' nonsense the kids have nowadays.

And as for that noise they call music etc etc...
Old 19-02-07, 08:37 PM   #3
on yer bike

CBT £100 - 1 day unless you're stupid like me, in which case it takes 2 days, but they dont charge more than the 1 day, excpet bike rental.

I was riding hapily as a learner for a year, then decided to do the test, sat my theory test, then went for 2 days training plus test 2 years ago £200 in total from City School of motorcycling (http://www.yourbiketest.com/)..

I think for direct access you add on an extra day or two to get used to a bigger bike. but I couldn't do that due to me only being only 18 at the time. but the restrictions are lifted after 2 years anyway.

You don't need to sit two test for direct access, you just need to sit one, but its on a bigger bike.

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 08:46 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Australia is a "Designated Country", this means your motorcycle entitlement should have been transferred from your Australian licence to your GB one. You therefore would not need to take any test. see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022559
Old 19-02-07, 11:07 PM   #5
suicidesam

CBT sat... DAS mon tues wed.. test thurs.. passed.. done!
Got to do the theory test before the DAS though.
Old 20-02-07, 09:27 AM   #6
Kilted Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
I know the answers are on here already somewhere probably but just bein lazy.. how long does it take to get your licence in the UK. When do you go for your first test after getting your learners, then to get Direct Access how long does that take? and how much does it all cost I had my licence transferred from my Ozzy one so I'm a bit Nieve!
Is this for mr sheila? A quite clearly your licence has been transfered over to a uk one. If so like sam says, Das route

CBT Sat, 4 hours 0n 500 mon, tue, 2 hrs wed, +2more on wed afternoon if you need it, test Thursday, Saltire suzuki Friday new sv650 Sat, job done.

Alternatively you can do the cbt sat then space out the das lessons as your time/ finances allow and sit when ready,

Avg prices, Theory test £25??? i think
CBT £100, Das course £350, Das lessons £25 per hr, test £80 inc bike hire??? i Think.

Think it works out about £600 including all test fees (ballpark)
Old 20-02-07, 11:01 AM   #7
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
How Long?
Why does it always have to boil down to the same question with these aussie girls?

Sorry - Should try to be helpful really.

Just in case it's not for Mr Sheila, don't forget that DAS is for those over the age of 21. If for a youngster then its a normal test on a 125 after which they will be restricted to 33bhp for two years.

DAS schools will do an accelerated course on a 125 just the same as on a 500.

Don't forget that "guaranteed pass" does not guarantee you'll pass on a 500. If they don't like your riding on the 125 they'll not let you ride a 500 and will put you through the test on a 125. They may also drop you a couple of hours into your CBT if they decide you are just not suited to riding a bike. The schools performance is judged by DSA partially on what percentage of their students pass first time, so a school with a good rep won't send you if your not ready to pass.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 20-02-07 at 11:19 AM.
Old 20-02-07, 04:48 PM   #8
kitkat

did guaranteed pass DAS with Harleys in Springburn. When they say guarantee they mean they will give you a bike to re sit your test as often as you need with no charge. for me 2 tests required. does not include extra training or test fee though.
Old 20-02-07, 11:23 PM   #9
stuartyboy

7 inches
Old 21-02-07, 12:21 PM   #10
kitkat

this is useless without pictures