SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-12-05, 04:39 PM   #1
gman

Default Gear Selector Jammed

I went for a slide down the road last saturday. Needless to say it was a long one.. New leathers scrapped up. Can't complain though. They did what they said on the tin. I walked away!!

Anyway point is. When putting the bike back together with replacement parts, I noticed that the gear selector, coming straight out of the gearbox, looked as though it was slightly turned to the right more.

I have tried to move it, as the bike is stuck in gear, with no luck. It seems as though it is jammed in gear. Any ideas? Anyone have this happen to them before?

Baffled

Cheers

G
Old 08-12-05, 04:47 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

have you tried to rock the bike forwards and backwards while moving the selector?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-05, 05:02 PM   #3
gman

Yes,

The bike will move. But no gear change..
Old 08-12-05, 05:09 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Someone will come up with something that might not sound very good.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-05, 05:36 PM   #5
gman

Thats what I fear...

Jammed gear selector in gearbox????
Old 08-12-05, 07:13 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gear Selector Jammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman
Anyway point is. When putting the bike back together with replacement parts, I noticed that the gear selector, coming straight out of the gearbox, looked as though it was slightly turned to the right more.
Do you mean the shaft is bent? If so does the shaft still rotate freely? By which I mean can you move the shaft at all and if you can when you release it does it turn under the return spring pressure? If the shaft doesn't turn freely then that alone may be the problem, it may be that the selector claws are not resetting correctly and the drum isn't being turned.
If so then removing the clutch backplate will give access to the claws and pins, and allow you to replace the shaft - if the shaft is a bit squiffy, and it doesn't appear that you can tweak it back agin, it's best to cut it on the left as close to the case as possible, rather than try spanking a bent shaft out throught the bearings/bushes and possibly damaging them or the case.

Of course there is the ever present likelyhood that a bent selector fork is your problem, which would be a bit of a ****er, 'cos the motor has to come out and get itself split to attend to that .
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-05, 09:29 AM   #7
gman

The shaft is not bent. And it doesn't rotate freely....

Bent selector fork was my guess. I'm going to take it to the shop today and get them to have a look.....fingers crossed...
Old 09-12-05, 01:22 PM   #8
cjb

best of luck mate
Old 09-12-05, 06:09 PM   #9
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman
I'm going to take it to the shop today and get them to have a look...
Any news
Old 10-12-05, 07:13 PM   #10
gman

Didn't get it down there on friday. So will try on Monday. But I have a sneaky suspicion they are closed on monday. Will give news as soon as I have any....