SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 28-11-08, 05:01 PM   #11
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: What to do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
I am assuming therefore that you leave the baffle in on your bike? If you take it out you are technically riding a bike with a non-legal exhaust. Does this effect your riding?

Naturally I could see their point if they charged me a little extra as people with race cans on their bike are likely to be higher risk - in fact that is what I expected. However, just cause the bike make more noise than legally permitted I am not sure why they should be the ones enforcing the rules!
Think about it.

If they KNOW then they have to say no.

My can that was ridden baffle-less WAS road-legal with the baffle in, therefor it could be insured as road-legal - when I removed the baffle - well I didnt phone them and tell them (and actually I tended to put the baffle in as it sounded pretty much the same either way.

I am not saying you are wrong to WANT to ride you bike the way you want to.

What you did is the same as a 17yo going into the off-license, saying "Hi, its my 17th birthday today, I am planning a party, can I have 5 bottles of Vodka please".

Using the same analogy, BigApe went to a different offy, looked over 18 and didn't get ID'd

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 05:06 PM   #12
Stig

I called them and specifically told them it was a race use only exhaust. They said whatever, don't care. So I asked them to put that in writing, which they duly did.
Old 28-11-08, 05:10 PM   #13
zsv650

tbh if a can says not for road use that's pritty much what it means and the insurance company arnt wrong to tell you no to insuring you for a non road legal vehicle.
Old 28-11-08, 05:10 PM   #14
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
I called them and specifically told them it was a race use only exhaust. They said whatever, don't care. So I asked them to put that in writing, which they duly did.
Ok amendmend

BA went to the offy that everyone knows would sell Vodka to a toddler as long as they had the cash and when this was pointed out they just said Meh!

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 05:10 PM   #15
FG1

At the end of the day, it is reasonable to expect an insurance company to refuse you insurance for use on the public highway if you are using an "illegal" exhaust.
I can appreciate the frustration knowing that the difference is minimal but at the end of the day if your bike is not "legal" then they are obliged to refuse you.
I am sure that there are a few little illegal things you do with your bike, visor and speed to name a couple. Why not just fit it and add another little thing to the illegalities????
Old 28-11-08, 05:11 PM   #16
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Ok amendmend

BA went to the offy that everyone knows would sell Vodka to a toddler as long as they had the cash and when this was pointed out they just said Meh!
Better.
Old 28-11-08, 05:35 PM   #17
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG1 View Post
At the end of the day, it is reasonable to expect an insurance company to refuse you insurance for use on the public highway if you are using an "illegal" exhaust.
I can appreciate the frustration knowing that the difference is minimal but at the end of the day if your bike is not "legal" then they are obliged to refuse you.
I am sure that there are a few little illegal things you do with your bike, visor and speed to name a couple. Why not just fit it and add another little thing to the illegalities????
I'll tell them that I have a non-OEM exhaust that is street legal and claim ignorance.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-08, 09:12 PM   #18
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Ok amendmend

Heheh. Classic.
Old 29-11-08, 12:56 PM   #19
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
I'll tell them that I have a non-OEM exhaust that is street legal and claim ignorance.
Didn't we cover this a week or so ago?

Some insurers hate race rans. Some insurers hate pretty much any modification. Some insurers don't give a monkeys.

Decide which is more important to you - valid insurance or a cosmetic enhancement to the bike. If it's the insurance, either leave the can off or change insurers. If it's the cosmetic change, change insurers.

*Wny* are you bothering to change the exhaust in the first place, if the power increase is a measly 1.5hp and it causes all this hassle?
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-08, 07:07 PM   #20
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden View Post
Didn't we cover this a week or so ago?

Some insurers hate race rans. Some insurers hate pretty much any modification. Some insurers don't give a monkeys.

Decide which is more important to you - valid insurance or a cosmetic enhancement to the bike. If it's the insurance, either leave the can off or change insurers. If it's the cosmetic change, change insurers.

*Wny* are you bothering to change the exhaust in the first place, if the power increase is a measly 1.5hp and it causes all this hassle?
I know you are a horse power lover but that isnt the be all and end all. Firstly the Yoshi is lighter, second it sounds better, third it smooths out the power curve and although you dont get a large increase overall the power response is smoother. Finally and overiding all the other points is...because I want to.

I'm not changing insurers because of this so will change the can and tell the insurers that it is legal but it does increase performance and be done with it. If the worst happens and they want to argue that the volume of the zaust caused an accident then they are free to try. Frankly I think that will be a tough sell.

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote