SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 08-02-10, 12:33 PM   #21
philbut

Default Re: The Italian supercar

happy to help with welding mate so long as you don't want it to look pretty (if you do, you'll need to borrow me a MIG welder). I hope that car was cheap, cos it looks like you are going to have to spend on it
Old 08-02-10, 12:53 PM   #22
Stig

Well would you believe I found out the au pair we have is a qualified mechanic. With the Pug being a French car and her being French, it sorted of worked out well. Went out on Saturday and came back to find she had given the car a good look over.

She found in no particular order.

Hand brake cable needs replacing
Throttle cable needs replacing
Air filter looks like it was the original so needs replacing
Cam belt could be used for a skipping rope so needs changing
Alternator belt needs changing
Driver seat needs welding
Front right suspension strut needs replacing
Needs an oil and filter change
Reverse lights don't work
Tracking needs sorting
Exhaust is rattling

I'm sure there were a few other little things as well. But the good news is the Big Ends are just fine.

My Dad came for a visit on my birthday yesterday so he took the car for a spin and confirmed there was nothing wrong with the engine. He's worked on Diesels all his life and knows his stuff.

So next weekend he is fixing the cambelt and tensioners and the alternator. £85

I can get both front suspension struts for £50 delivered so he is going to do them too.

He has a welder so will also be doing the driver seat brackets. I have bodged it for the time being. (your saved Phil )

The other bits and pieces I will sort out next month after I get paid. Now trying to get the bloke who sold me the car to cough up some sort of compensation regarding my costs.
Old 08-02-10, 01:41 PM   #23
Sosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
... But the good news is the Big Ends are just fine.

My Dad came for a visit on my birthday yesterday so he took the car for a spin and confirmed there was nothing wrong with the engine. He's worked on Diesels all his life and knows his stuff...
Ahhh too slow - was just about to post mine rattles away making a grand din - and has for the last 20000 miles plus.

In 5 years apart from a yearly standard service and a water pump motor all it's needed was a clutch.

cheap to run too.
Old 08-02-10, 01:48 PM   #24
Warthog

Almost looking up! Almost.
Old 11-03-10, 09:20 AM   #25
Stig

Update. I traded the Cinq for a cambelt kit and alternator belt.

Car has now done 4500 miles and does on average 65mpg. This was from 55mpg before I changed the air filter. I have bodged the driver seat for the time being so now it only moves a little rather than loads.

That's it. That's all I have done to it.

Planned for end of month is a two new tyres. Spare has no tread at all and rear right looses 15 psi through the course of the day. New handbrake cable and throttle cable, oil and oil filter change and possibly new shock for the front.

Next time my dad comes round I will get him to weld the seat mounting.

Very economical car. I was amazed last time I filled the tank it had done 71mpg.
Old 11-03-10, 10:09 AM   #26
philbut

Drivin Miss Daisy? - I used to get about 45mpg out of the same engine!

OK, I was 18 and had a heavy foot.
Old 11-03-10, 10:55 AM   #27
Stig

I drive mostly A road (A4) to work and back. Steady 60-70 mph with other A and B roads being driven around 50mph. Virtually all the miles I'm in 5th gear. At the time I leave for work, traffic does not tend to be an issue. And the A4 being what it is, if I do come up against a slower vehicle, overtaking is easy.