SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-12-18, 11:15 PM   #61
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed
Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

We could say the same about almost every election I can remember. Politicians at national level are Scheming, conniving, lying, misleading ****s and that's the nicest thing I can say about them.
Old 16-12-18, 12:08 AM   #62
embee
Mega Poster

The vote is simple, as I suggested earlier, binary leave/remain, and with leave you get to choose which way. Easy. All possible options on the table and the decision is what we all accept. Alternatively we just accept whatever the parliament comes up with, take it not leave it.

The Brexit we're getting is what we voted for, i.e. a blank sheet of paper with terms&conditions to be filled in by our government and enacted by our democratically elected parliament. That's sovereignty for you. Stop moaning, it's what we wanted.

As usual no-one who wants leave has come up with a clear decision as to what form of exit they want, only moans about everyone else. That's been the case for the last 2 1/2 years, and it'll be the case for the next 5, 10, maybe 20yrs. Go on, tell me what you want and persuade me it'll work, maybe I'll support it.
Old 16-12-18, 04:37 AM   #63
Red ones
Mega Poster

A long time ago I likened Brexit to a divorce with rules.

You're married. You can choose to remain married or you can choose to divorce. The country chose to divorce according to the rules. Farage, the ****, convinced the country to divorce so it could get a better wife, only the rules for divorcing are these:
You can't start looking for your new wife until you have divorced the last one. The current wife is a bit ****ed off, "you want a new wife, do you? We'll see about that!" She's now talking to the lawyers and making sure we don't go out looking for someone else while she is wanting to keep the house and children.
Farage told us that younger, more attractive women would be queueing up for our attention when we go to the nightclub, but it looks a bit more like we are going to Tuesday night at bingo than Saturday night at Stringfellows.

The wife is now saying, "were you a bit rash? Would you like to stay?" But we're still not sure. We're still thinking a young, attractive, yoga loving gymbunny might pop by our way, or that maybe the no deal night at bingo might just bring the love of our life at the last minute just before the national link game.

I'm a middle aged man with a realistic view on my chances with yoga loving gymbunnies and I've driven past the queue for bingo on a Tuesday night so I've seen who's in it. If I stay with the wife will she eventually just say it was a mid-life crisis and that I should have just bought a sportier bike or dyed my hair?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 09:37 AM   #64
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I was never expecting a deal as a worth while one was never going to happen. We should have been preparing for a no deal exit since the day after the vote. Unfortunately all of our politicians and a great number of our population have put their selfish reasons in front of the common good for the UK as a whole.
Old 16-12-18, 10:49 AM   #65
Bibio
Mega Poster

why are all female politicians fugly? i would be much happier getting told lies if i was at least getting some eye candy, but no we have to put up with lies and ugly.. its just not cricket.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 11:07 AM   #66
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
If by "one fair and democratic vote" you mean the EU referendum, you're seriously having a laugh.
The leave campaign broke electoral law and rhe bulk of its claims have been proven to have been lies.
In any other walk of life the vote would have been declared null and void .
Tell me which of their claims have been proven to be lies - the £380million may not be ring-fenced for NHS but it is back in the economy, the Remain campaign spent £900million of taxpayers money on a leaflet that hardly mentioned leave ( except to say it was not the preferred option of the government), and the amount of lies ( really biased forecasts) that project fear came out with ( non of which have proved true except maybe the £ dropping a bit, in fact the reverse to project fear happened with unemployment dropping best part of a million jobs, exports up and economy growing faster than predicted...

There were partisan projections on both sides, the establishment elite tried to put the fear of god into people to prevent a leave vote, but they never expected a leave vote because absolutely no provisions or plans were made for one.

By the way most of the people at the top of the electoral commission ( which is supposed to be fair and neutral) have been outed as staunch remainers ( maybe they work for the BBC on the side) - their investigations were never going to be un-biased. Politicians tell lies before every election but we do not have re-runs of those no matter how close the result, 5 years of a Labour government can do more harm to our economy than leaving the EU with no deal ( the old joke about Labour keeps spending until they run out of other peoples money is actually true). The old crony politicians who would not know democracy if it bit them on the leg have a lot to answer for with their anti-UK pro-EU shenanigens which have emboldened the EU to give us the worst possible deal and let their fifth columnist quislings in UK push for a second referendum, shame on them when was hanging for high treason abolished...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-12-18 at 11:16 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 11:31 AM   #67
Seeker
Mega Poster

This is a map showing who is signing the petition to leave the EU with no deal:

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsultin...etition=229963

It looks like it roughly follows the leave vote with an area from the Wash to the Humber (East Midlands/Lincolnshire) being strongly represented.
Here's a description of Lincolnshire transport links (from Wiki):

"Being on the economic periphery of England, Lincolnshire's transport links are less well developed than many other parts of the United Kingdom"

"Bus services within the county are also limited in number, due to the inherent economic feasibility of serving a scattered population living across an area with low population density."

"The low population density of the county means that the number of railway stations and train services is rather low considering the county's large physical size. A large number of the county's railway stations were permanently closed in the 1950s and 1960s, many following the Beeching Report of 1963."

People here feel a long distance from London, let alone Europe. Europe (EU) is/was something that imposed regulations without any (apparent) benefits. Most of our MPs are Tories and none of them attempted to sell the benefits of the EU (and that's still the case).
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 12:00 PM   #68
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Tell me which of their claims have been proven to be lies ("trade deal with EU would be the easiest thing in the world" - Liam Fox if I remember right) - the £380million may not be ring-fenced for NHS but it is back in the economy (Not yet, and we still have to pay for all the bureaucracy and extra processes we will have to do), the Remain campaign spent £900million (I think that was £9million, but hey, £900m sounds better https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...endum-35980571 ) of taxpayers money on a leaflet that hardly mentioned leave ( except to say it was not the preferred option of the government), and the amount of lies ( really biased forecasts) that project fear came out with ( non of which have proved true except maybe the £ dropping a bit (15% in round figures, if you call that "a bit", and we'll wait and see what happens when we actually leave) , in fact the reverse to project fear happened with unemployment dropping best part of a million jobs, exports up and economy growing faster than predicted... (and all while we are in the EU, who'd have thought.... )

There were partisan projections on both sides (True), the establishment elite tried to put the fear of god into people to prevent a leave vote (true), but they never expected a leave vote because absolutely no provisions or plans were made for one. (True)

By the way most of the people at the top of the electoral commission ( which is supposed to be fair and neutral) have been outed as staunch remainers ( maybe they work for the BBC on the side) - their investigations were never going to be un-biased. Politicians tell lies before every election but we do not have re-runs of those no matter how close the result, 5 years of a Labour government can do more harm to our economy than leaving the EU with no deal ( the old joke about Labour keeps spending until they run out of other peoples money is actually true). The old crony politicians who would not know democracy if it bit them on the leg have a lot to answer for with their anti-UK pro-EU shenanigens which have emboldened the EU to give us the worst possible deal and let their fifth columnist quislings in UK push for a second referendum, shame on them when was hanging for high treason abolished...
OK, so that's more moaning about everyone else, now what do you want?

Politicians give us propaganda in badly thought out campaigns, so what's new? An awful lot of the causes for folk to want to give the establishment a kicking and so vote leave were not actually EU related at all, but that's what happens, we know that.

Once out of the EU, what is the first "law" that they forced upon us that you want repealed? Which country is first on the trade deal list?
Old 16-12-18, 12:07 PM   #69
SV650rules
Mega Poster

("trade deal with EU would be the easiest thing in the world" - Liam Fox if I remember right)

That claim was made after the result was in, about 12 months after IIRC

So £900Million was a typo - the actual amount was £9million, but that was never put onto remain campaign spending even though the governments campaign was massively skewed into scaring the pants off anyone who was thinking of voting leave.

An awful lot of the causes for folk to want to give the establishment a kicking and so vote leave were not actually EU related at all, but that's what happens, we know that.

You are interpreting the result as you like it, I actually wanted out of the EU, it was not about UK 'establishment' but the 'EU establishment' - the one that never knows when to stop with this political integration dressed up with a thin veneer of 'free trade', what other free trade deals in the world give either countries citizens carte blanche to move to the others country without a Visa or normal controls ?

The EU is all about politics - locking countries into trade just facilitates the EU elite in their quest for a political Federal superstate, but that bus has already left we are entering an era of de-globalisation with national identities re-emerging, the globalisation / EU experiment is out of time and will crumble soon anyway, whether we leave or not, but better to leave on our own terms now and get a heads start than get sucked down with a shrinking ( and sinking) ship.

Brexit is the least of the EU's problems at the moment they are being rocked by internal strife from former eastern european countries who do not like the thought of swopping one political master for another one to micro-manage their country, countries like Italy and Greece ( and now Spain) who have borne the brunt of the EU failing to tackle illegal immigration - Macron is finished but is posturing on Brexit to divert attention from Frances problems, Merkell is a dead woman walking - watch this space............

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 16-12-18 at 12:24 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 12:19 PM   #70
punyXpress
Mega Poster

" Which country is first on the trade deal list?"
Switzerland,or doesn't it count 'cos we haven't quite left yet ?

Last edited by punyXpress; 16-12-18 at 12:20 PM.
punyXpress is offline   Reply With Quote