SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-12-18, 01:33 PM   #71
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
" Which country is first on the trade deal list?"
Switzerland,or doesn't it count 'cos we haven't quite left yet ?
Also Australia, New Zealand, Japan ( and rest of pacific region https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45780889 ) USA.

Did I tell you about the experiment they did with battery hens ? they opened the door to see what happened - 48% refused to leave the 'shelter' of the battery but 52% jumped out and found the fresh air and new opportunities to their liking, but the 48% inside petitioned the farmer not just to close the door, but to make sure the 52% were made to go back into the battery before the door was closed. The letter to the farmer demanded another 'chickens vote' because the 52% did not know what they were doing and how dangerous it was outside the battery.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 03:54 PM   #72
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Also Australia, New Zealand, Japan ( and rest of pacific region https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45780889 ) USA.

Did I tell you about the experiment they did with battery hens ? they opened the door to see what happened - 48% refused to leave the 'shelter' of the battery but 52% jumped out and found the fresh air and new opportunities to their liking, but the 48% inside petitioned the farmer not just to close the door, but to make sure the 52% were made to go back into the battery before the door was closed. The letter to the farmer demanded another 'chickens vote' because the 52% did not know what they were doing and how dangerous it was outside the battery.
Can the 48% stay inside while the 52% face the fox tonight?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 04:20 PM   #73
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Tell me which of their claims have been proven to be lies - the £380million may not be ring-fenced for NHS but it is back in the economy, the Remain campaign spent £900million of taxpayers money on a leaflet that hardly mentioned leave ( except to say it was not the preferred option of the government), and the amount of lies ( really biased forecasts) that project fear came out with ( non of which have proved true except maybe the £ dropping a bit, in fact the reverse to project fear happened with unemployment dropping best part of a million jobs, exports up and economy growing faster than predicted...
Well, the £380million isn't in the economy and cannot be found. It was based on the full membership cost of the EU, however, the rebate is taken off this figure. It's a bit like me giving you £100 a week but you give me a discount of £40. I can't be £100 a week better off by not paying you because I never paid it to you anyway. BUT then a further amount is paid back by the EU to public funds anyway. SO back to that £100 (that I actually only pay £60), you then give me £30 for some projects. i'm still down some money. BUT then there is funding to private industry and for administration costs for spending the remaining sum. At best I can say I'm £30 down a week (against the original claim of £100), but if I sepnd the £70 a week there is a degree of administration I have to pay for, which comes out of the £30 that you kept.

In short, the £380 millioon claim was wide of the mark, its much nearer £120million. If someone tells me they can spend my money so much better but they get their figures that wrong then I don't think they should be anywhere near money.

Sounds big numbers, the difference between £120 million and £380milion, or not? Not as big as the difference between £900million and £9million. £9million may sound big, but divide that across the number of households in the UK (about 26.5million according to the 2011 census), thats £33p a household (less than a stamp)

So, in that one paragraph there are two 'facts' both are lies.

Now where did the leave funding come from? Sounds increasingly like it came from the Kremlin via an non-UK Aaron Banks owned company donation. And yes, the Isle of Man is not in the UK, so that would be an illegal political donation if the criminal investigation confirms the suspicion.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 04:30 PM   #74
embee
Mega Poster

Australia - we better get in the queue http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4164_en.htm
New Zealand - we better get in the queue http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO180...gotiations.htm
Japan - with a bit of luck we can agree a trade deal as good as the one we are leaving https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...-idUSKBN1E21BT
USA - yes, good luck with that one

Last edited by embee; 16-12-18 at 04:31 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 04:44 PM   #75
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Australia - we better get in the queue http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4164_en.htm
New Zealand - we better get in the queue http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO180...gotiations.htm
Could be a very looonnngggg time coming if the EU performance on the deal with Canada is anything to go by, when the Wallons held Belgium to ransom until they got what they wanted before removing the veto.
Old 16-12-18, 05:07 PM   #76
embee
Mega Poster

A second referendum at this stage might not be such a barmy idea, it has had some supporters in the past https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3rX4nJ0snc
Old 16-12-18, 05:40 PM   #77
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
A second referendum at this stage might not be such a barmy idea
please, no... just no.

It took 7 months for the EU referendum law to be put in place and whilst you might be able to piggy back on that legislation it cost £130 million.

https://www.ft.com/content/f0a62bb4-...0-57a2a826423e

Article 50 would need to be delayed which means going back to the EU and asking for permission since we cannot delay it on our own (but can abandon it which seems odd). The remain voting population have said that the leave voting population were "stupid"; I haven't noticed a collective rise in intelligence since the last vote. Another 6 or 7 months of this? Please no.

Rees-Mogg probably only wants a second referendum because his nanny suggested it.

Last edited by Seeker; 16-12-18 at 05:41 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 05:50 PM   #78
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

We did not get a vote each time the EU changed (for example the Lisbon Treaty), why start now. The only reason I can think of for having another referendum is so the ruling classes get their way.

Have any of you remainers thought through what our relationship with the EU would be like. I'm afraid the bridge has been burned and there is no returning to the past. There is no goodwill left. Even before the vote only 4.3% of EU employees were British as opposed to 11.6% of the EU population being British. That is direct employment, the plethora of institutions, bodies and agencies are even worse. I'm afraid the bond of trust is broken. source http://theconversation.com/how-many-...r-the-eu-59702

Remainers make me think of a person dying of cancer using their last days to shout and scream that it's not fair , not right and why me, instead of making peace with themselves, family, friends and God if they have faith.

It's time to pull together to make the most of what we have, not to argue about what we had and what may have been.
Old 16-12-18, 06:14 PM   #79
embee
Mega Poster

Do you want the negotiated-exit-deal or no-deal? If we get the other one, will you be happy to accept that with no further grumbles or wishes that it had gone the other way? Would you prefer to have a say in which deal we go for, on the basis that one of them probably isn't what you had in mind at the referendum?

I agree wholeheartedly with you that the rest of the world's view of the UK has probably been changed irreversibly over this last 2 1/2 years.

It's not really about what we had and what might have been, more a case of what we're going to get and what will be.

Last edited by embee; 16-12-18 at 06:16 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 06:26 PM   #80
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

If it wasn't for the NI problem, I'd be happy for no deal and fall back on the WTO rules whilst we negotiate with other countries.

Whilst on the subject of Ireland you have to hand it to their politicians who have stayed rock steady together. A lesson for our lot.

One mans view some not all of which I can agree with is this https://www.facebook.com/Fight4Brexi...45/?tn-str=k*F