SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-09-11, 07:09 AM   #1
Badeye

Default Loose, Ticking Sound & Low Idle On K3 SV650S

Hi Guys,

So recently i've noticed this rattle sound, its not the normal SV Rattle. It sounds more like the sound a loose glass lense would make, thats the only way i can describe it. It seems to be coming from the front end somewhere but i'm not sure what to check, it also only appears to happen in lower rpms when theres more vibrations. Its driving me up the wall. The rattle can't be heard when the bike is stationary but i'll double check it today.

Also a very faint ticking sound has appeared, this was never there and happens even if the bike is stationary.

Last but not least, i've noticed when my bike is not in gear it idles fine but the second i select 1st gear and just sit there with clutch in the idle drops to just over 1000 is this right? Also my bike sounds like its sucking in too much air when i'm giving it some throttle so was going to replace the air filter, would a knackered air filter cause the idle to be low?

Any light on the above would great.

Thanks fellow orgers

Badeye

Last edited by Badeye; 29-09-11 at 07:11 AM.
Old 29-09-11, 10:25 PM   #2
Dunn-y

Default Re: Loose, Ticking Sound & Low Idle On K3 SV650S

Does the bike try to pull away when in gear with the clutch in?
Old 30-09-11, 09:29 AM   #3
Badeye

Hi, no. Well yesterday i replaced the air filter, changed oil and filter and adjusted the idle. Bike does seem to be running better however it still sounds like it has some bad ass induction kit on when im giving it some juice. The crazy rattle is still there so i'm gonna go over the whole bike today with my wrench and make sure all is tight. Is there anything i should be on the look out for? Gonna try and replicate the rattle sound today and see what the crack is.

Ta..
Badeye
Old 30-09-11, 05:06 PM   #4
Dunn-y

I'm just going by what I've read on this forum so I can't help you with much. Anyway, you said you changed the Air Filter, did you check to see that the Airbox was properly seated, not sure if it's the same as a Curvy and that the Air Filter is in properly? Not saying you've done anything wrong, but might be worth checking, only takes a minute.

Can't help with with the rattle, in fact I have a similar rattle on mine, coming from the rear cylinder/CCT area. I still don't have a clue what's causing it.

You said the idle lowers when you put it into 1st gear from neutral. I would have thought a clutch not properly adjusted would cause this?

Can't really help you much more, if I ve helped at all. Hopefluuy someone like YC will give you some pointers. Good Luck
Old 30-09-11, 06:34 PM   #5
Badeye

So the bike is idling ok now since i have adjusted it. I started the bike today and it sounds sweeter than ever with the work i have done to it but deep induction sound is still there when i'm accelerating. Let me be clear about this, the deep induction sound is only there when im riding, not in low rpms only in higher rpm say in 3rd gear on wards. It also doesn't do it when not in gear. I don't know if this is anything to do with it but i don't seem to be able to hit 100 as easily as i use to.

Si
Old 30-09-11, 09:02 PM   #6
Dunn-y

I'm afraid I can't help you anymore. I don't have a clue why you have the induction sound. Someone with more mechanical knowledge will have to help you there.

By the way, what did you do to fix the rattle?
Old 01-10-11, 08:37 AM   #7
Badeye

Well i still have the SV rattle that everyone has but the other rattle that i had i found it was the radiator, it had come loose. I had an off a few months ago and my radiator is a little twisted and i think over time its worked itself loose. Sorted.

Not sure what to do about the induction sound. I think i'd feel more comfortable if i just knew why it now does it when it never use to.

I got to admit the oil and filter change has made a massive difference in how the bike sounds.

Thanks anyway bud.