SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-03-17, 06:44 AM   #2291
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

That's a big envelope
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 08:26 AM   #2292
Red ones
Mega Poster

The challenge now is to get Outlook to accept them. My pst file is over 50GB.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-17, 07:36 PM   #2293
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I finally finished writing my speech. Whoop!

5000 words, accompanying images and videos. I fly to Edinburgh next Wednesday morning, present at a conference for lots of people who run heritage venues, galleries, tourist attractions, libraries and museums, and then fly back Wednesday afternoon. It's a three day event but I'm simply too busy to take that long out of the office.

At the moment the videos will play on my PC but not the system at the conference venue, but I'll get that sorted.

Now I can spend tomorrow proofing and writing captions for a magazine, editing dozens of photos, and setting up media for our new exhibitions. And people think it must be quiet when there's no cricket on. It's manic.

I'm going to reward myself with a well earned glass of fizz at the Soho Christmas Party on Saturday night
Old 09-03-17, 09:15 PM   #2294
maviczap
Mega Poster

I had to take my coat off in the van today

There was a smell of blossom in the air tonight

There was this big yellow object in the sky & it was warm
Old 10-03-17, 08:53 PM   #2295
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Computer at home getting a bit flaky, taking a while to boot up (used to leap into action) and has been having problems with getting bogged down while internet browsing. Bit the bullet and downloaded Norton Utilities and set it loose on my computer, did a deep defrag (took about 4 hours) and registry cleanup - well it is like having a new computer, just breezes through stuff it has been struggling with just lately.

Well worth every penny of 1 off cost of £39 for 3 licences with no further annual licence charge and updates for life.

Much cheaper than buying a new computer - made my day !

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 10:02 AM   #2296
maviczap
Mega Poster

Ticket touts being banned from using botware to buy tickets in bulk. Plus unlimited fines, and the reselling sites doing more to stop the selling of these tickets at over inflated prices by these touts.

I'm sure they'll find a way round it, but it's going to be a bit harder i hope.
Old 11-03-17, 10:36 AM   #2297
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Ticket touts being banned from using botware to buy tickets in bulk. Plus unlimited fines, and the reselling sites doing more to stop the selling of these tickets at over inflated prices by these touts.

I'm sure they'll find a way round it, but it's going to be a bit harder i hope.
If people refused to pay higher prices for the touted tickets their market would dry up, short term pain for long term gain. After all it may be nice to see this or that show, football final etc. but hardly life threatening if you don't. Its all down to market forces, if there is a demand unscrupulous people will fill it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 11-03-17, 11:31 AM   #2298
maviczap
Mega Poster

No, people have to pay twice or 3 times the face value of these tickets which go within minutes of them going on sale, its unfair on the fans who can't afford the prices that these touts flog them on at, aided and abetted by the 'legalized' reselling sites.

Not everyone can afford to pay the 'market forces' price that you advocate. Sounds like something out of a conservative party manifesto.

Those that can afford it don't help the situation, its the same as house prices, over inflating the price of something in an area where demand pushes up the price to ludicrous amounts.

Hence the legislation.

Last edited by maviczap; 11-03-17 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-03-17, 02:04 PM   #2299
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
No, people have to pay twice or 3 times

Not everyone can afford to pay the 'market forces' price that you advocate. Sounds like something out of a conservative party manifesto.

Those that can afford it don't help the situation, its the same as house prices, over inflating the price of something in an area where demand pushes up the price to ludicrous amounts.
I am not advocating that people pay over original ticket price, all I am saying is that no-one should pay a penny more than original ticket price, but some people do and the touts know this (market forces), people have to separate 'want' from 'need' .

Most of the housing price sh*t started when Mutual Building Societies ( basically owned by their borrowers who normally had long term relationship saving with them to get a house) were allowed to 'demutualise' (their members were bribed / paid off a lump sum so that the society could become a bank), and then all banks could offer mortgages. Building societies traditionally were very careful who they gave mortgages to (ie they had to be convinced you could afford it) but once they became banks, and because all banks were now involved they lent people far too much money in the sure belief that property prices would rocket up and they would always get their money back, but that didn't work, and caused 'difficulties' in the market (sub-prime mortgages caused the 2008 Bank crash). The problem with houses is that they have become a commodity to buy and sell and make 'loadsamoney' rather than a place to live that should be affordable.

Old 11-03-17, 03:20 PM   #2300
Trev B

In the Uk there is far too much fairytale belief that owning a house is the way to go.Home ownership is a 30+ albatross around your neck,it's never yours in truth because it's eventually the governments come old age when your asset becomes your Nursinghome or Carehome fees,and not your children's inheritance.what happens when your employer moves or closes and the only job you can get is 200 miles away?,then you have a problem of selling your house to buy another when you relocate + the cost of moving etc,like much of Europe renting is far more popular with long term contracts with the freedom to move if required with very few strings attached.Buying is really a thing of the past in my opinion,from a time when you had a job for life or at least you could finish one job Friday and start a new one Monday,and you knew your bank manager by name.Today the Government is truely worried about people not getting on the housing ladder because they know the money poor kids of the future won't have the guaranteed saving for old age and are offering different ways for them to put their heads in the financial noose.Thats my two penny's worth anyway !!!