SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-08-07, 07:41 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default Classic bike/cafe racer - why do I want one? & What do I want?

After seeing a (old)V-reg Ducati 900SS last night I'm in love with long, slim clip on classics and need one in my life.

So any suggestions? after briefly scouting the internet I think the late '70s ducatis are too expensive. My other thoughts are a guzzi of some sort. With or without a bikini fairing I'm not too bothered. Are there any other bikes from the '60s/'70s and early '80s that might interest me? Suggestions on a postcard or below. It doesn't have to be the purist version in the world, just something with that cafe racer vibe, so oddball suggestions welcome.

Problem is I think I'm getting old before my time

PS I still want a Triumph Daytona 675 so all hope is not lost, yet.

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 10-08-07 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 09:46 PM   #2
Demonz

Default Re: Classic bike/cafe racer - why do I want one?

I'd buy into the Triumph or more so the Norton brand as classics - but know bugger all about both of them....
Old 10-08-07, 09:52 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

buy yourself an SRX600. Big single cylinder cafe stylee. A real comedy bike, loads of fun. Light, slim and from the 80's. If its oddball you want then that will fit the bill. Im indoors taught me to ride a bike on one of his. Then he bought me one, shame i needed to jump off the top board at the swimming pool to kickstart it!!!! Some come with electric start and those in real good nick attract nice prices. They're a bit cult

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 11:32 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Classic bike/cafe racer - why do I want one? & What do I want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
After seeing a (old)V-reg Ducati 900SS last night I'm in love with long, slim clip on classics and need one in my life.

So any suggestions? after briefly scouting the internet I think the late '70s ducatis are too expensive. My other thoughts are a guzzi of some sort. With or without a bikini fairing I'm not too bothered. Are there any other bikes from the '60s/'70s and early '80s that might interest me? Suggestions on a postcard or below. It doesn't have to be the purist version in the world, just something with that cafe racer vibe, so oddball suggestions welcome.

Problem is I think I'm getting old before my time

PS I still want a Triumph Daytona 675 so all hope is not lost, yet.
Tim, this was the beast that brought my bro back to 2 wheels. Whilst he got his 900ss with less than 2000 on the clock, it was still an emulsion manufacturing plant. Despite dipping his toes in the gixer and blade camps for some reason he still feels the call of Italian bags of spanners.

You must have heard them at the bridge. They tell you 3000 miles in advance something expensive is going to happen. I had a mate in the late 70s lay down a Dama and take it back to the shop it don't handle right. too bloody true the frame was twisted.

Yes the duc's look nice, but they really are big bags of trouble. Unless you have very deep pockets, stay clear.
Old 10-08-07, 11:35 PM   #5
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Tim, this was the beast that brought my bro back to 2 wheels. Whilst he got his 900ss with less than 2000 on the clock, it was still an emulsion manufacturing plant. Despite dipping his toes in the gixer and blade camps for some reason he still feels the call of Italian bags of spanners.

You must have heard them at the bridge. They tell you 3000 miles in advance something expensive is going to happen. I had a mate in the late 70s lay down a Dama and take it back to the shop it don't handle right. too bloody true the frame was twisted.

Yes the duc's look nice, but they really are big bags of trouble. Unless you have very deep pockets, stay clear.
I've realised that the bevel drive Ducatis are not for me at this stage in life/finance, but would love something similar to sit alongside a modern machine in my garage.....
Old 11-08-07, 01:27 AM   #6
Razor

Triumph Thruxton.
Old 11-08-07, 01:38 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Triumph Thruxton.
indeed, or perhaps something like this ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 07:40 AM   #8
Tim in Belgium

Mark, what's that?

Is it a twin?

Loving the bars, tank and seat.
Old 11-08-07, 08:31 AM   #9
padmane

What about a Royal Enfield? They do a cool cafe racer.
Old 11-08-07, 04:08 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Classic bike/cafe racer - why do I want one?
'Cos they're exceedingly cool that's why, seems you getting some taste in your advancing years.
Quote:
What do I want?
I don't know.

The bike in Mark's pic is a Enfield. Much fun, very slow, newer ones now pretty well made.

See here.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote