SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-08, 11:11 PM   #1
EssexDave

Default Experiance needed before advanced riding...

Simple question is - How much experiance do people recommend before taking a course like bikesafe or IAM. I know this is very dependant on the type of riding people do, how much riding, how fast you learn etc, but just as a rough guide.
Old 18-03-08, 08:03 AM   #2
Durbs

Default Re: Experiance needed before advanced riding...

Sure i'd heard 5K miles or 12 months.
Old 18-03-08, 08:05 AM   #3
Durbs

Although different for Bikesafe i think as thats an all round 'stay safe' course whereas i think the IAM is geared towards going for the advanced test?
Old 18-03-08, 08:08 AM   #4
JamesMio
Mega Poster

I've done about 4k miles since passing my test in September, and booked my IAM training last weekend at the Scottish Bike show.

Creatomatic
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08, 08:58 AM   #5
clodge

We joined the IAM a couple of months ago with few miles on the clock as it was recommended on here and we needed to go out and get more confidence. We just told the IAM that we were novices really and they said that it didn't matter they would let us take it at our own pace. The test isn't the be-all and end-all for us therefore we have great observers that take us out and comment on our riding and how we can improve - it is helping us and we paid ?10 (he wouldn't accept more) for the poor chappy who spent the day with us!

Basically - they take all levels which is what I'm trying to say!
Old 18-03-08, 09:00 AM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Clodge - how are you getting on riding now?

I personally would prefer to do a bikesafe at the moment, I have 6000 miles under my belt on my SV and I'm confident on my bike - I just need pointers. I don't know if the IAM is for me, I don't know what I could get out of it what I can't already work out for myself or be told from bikesafe?

Matt
Old 18-03-08, 09:03 AM   #7
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexDave View Post
Simple question is - How much experiance do people recommend before taking a course like bikesafe or IAM. I know this is very dependant on the type of riding people do, how much riding, how fast you learn etc, but just as a rough guide.
The earlier the better. Bit like fitting crash bungs after you've had a crash.

Do it. Now!
Old 18-03-08, 09:04 AM   #8
clodge

Hi Matt - great ta! We joined the IAM and bought another bike (exactly the same) for my sister so we do look a bit sad but it beats following in the car as we were doing. We are actually looking forward to going out on the bikes now. Don't get me wrong we've a bit more to do and alot more miles but miles better - thanks for asking!
Old 18-03-08, 09:22 AM   #9
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Clodge - how are you getting on riding now?

I personally would prefer to do a bikesafe at the moment, I have 6000 miles under my belt on my SV and I'm confident on my bike - I just need pointers. I don't know if the IAM is for me, I don't know what I could get out of it what I can't already work out for myself or be told from bikesafe?

Matt

Matt i'd been riding for about 10 years before i did IAM training, i wasn't expecting to get a great deal out of it but i went and i did get some good advice and pointers from it. Am i any faster for doing it? possibily, but i am a lot safer now. why don't you go along to your local group and get a observed run, most willl give you one free for the first time
Old 18-03-08, 10:07 AM   #10
600+

join now - you have more to gain by learning the right way than trying to correct old habits