SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-11-18, 04:01 PM   #11
SV650Raw

Default Re: New git

I initially, along w/ everyone else just getting into motorcycles, drew a too general conclusive comparison between motorcycles and cars. That being the bigger the motor, the better it compares on paper the better a specific MC is and its just not the case in every case. Just because a MC is cheaper AND japanese does NOT make it inferior to an American or Italian, or British, etc., brand of whatever MC its being compared to.

The fact, as I now see it, is in today's MC world because competition is so very high the Japanese (Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha) make a very competitive (sometimes the best) MC in every class being globally sold. That being the cruiser, the commuter, the general sport (street/dirt/etc.). I think this is because its sooo much easier for design changes and improvements to be implemented in the factory, sometimes even during mid-year production. Whereas w/ cars its hard for manufacturers to even make model changes & improvements from year to year as manufacturing cars is so very much more complicated and has so many more parts and production steps/stages.

Last edited by SV650Raw; 27-11-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 27-11-18, 04:24 PM   #12
SV650Raw

I think THE biggest current issue w/ the SV650 is IF Suzuki would invest some technology into the design for less than a $1,500 sticker price increase the woeful suspension problems could fixed as well as increasing the hp for the SV's vtwin to well over 80+ thus making the SV competitive w/ the GSXR or CBRR 600's. Probably beating it.
Old 29-11-18, 09:57 AM   #13
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
My first 3 bikes were all smaller than 250 cc (UK law only allowed learners on bikes 250cc or smaller back then).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...I'm old...
Yup. Now it's 125cc and very restricted power.

I dreamt of a 250 when I were a wee lad... all that torque and power...
Old 01-12-18, 09:27 AM   #14
Gordon13

Thumbs up Re: New git

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Raw View Post
Your wife must be on the back of the Suzuki when you race a Buell. Besides when you push a Buell THAT hard either (0-60) or top end it shakes like a busted washing machine. The only time a Buell doesn't shake like hell is under 5k which is just where a SV650 starts it's power band and it linearly continues to 10k whereas a Buell at 10k would probably explode or at the very least be unrideable once you pushed it back home. The SV650 has been in production longer than EBR was even in business. That's because its a helluva well designed motorcycle that sells for much less just about anything that comes close to it in performance.

SV650 > 0-60 mph 3.3 | Quarter mile 11.8
2003 Buell 1200 Lightning 0-60 mph 3.6 | Quarter mile 11.5 > Bear in mind the Buell 12's motor is literally TWICE the size and rated hp/torque output of the "little" SV. IOW its stupid to compare the two in any realistic manner. You have to compare apples to apples. Even then a SV1000 would leave a Buell 1200 in it's dust. Or to put it another way IF the Buell's engine's displacement was the same size as the SV650 it would take at least 7 seconds to get to 60mph which is HALF the time of SV650.

Buell is not a sport bike, but its moreso a cruiser. Whereas the SV650 is not a cruiser, but moreso a sport bike. But BOTH are vtwins interestingly enough.

source:
https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicl...-60-mph-times/
https://www.zeroto60times.com/?s=buell
Oh dear, sorry if my comment has upset anyone I'm not dissing the bikes by any means, I actually do quite like it I just don't love it, as I mentioned earlier it was a replacement for a Ducati M600 and I have to say a much better bike all round......not as nice looking but easier to live with.
For me it's a workhorse and quite a good one at that....... But that's it, the Suzuki build quality is down to its usual standards but I'm sure most of you will all know about that.
I found this forum after a search on regulator problems and was delighted to find the the answers I needed including the pos/neg wiring mod for which I'm very grateful
My Buell on the other hand is a completely different animal, I've owned it since 2001 and it's a keeper...... Mostly due to the amount of money that's been invested in it over the years. I won't bore you with spec only that it makes a genuine 95 rwhp and 89ftlb torque and has run the quarter in 11.185@117.95 again not the fastest out there but it makes me smile
I like V Twins
Gordon13 is offline   Reply With Quote