SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-05, 08:47 AM   #1
Bikerz

Default Electrical help plz?

My sv400s and i went on a nice long ride 100km or so, had to bump start her 3 times as batery went on me! So got her home triccle chargered her battery till it was full, took off charger and volts were 12.59 so happy with that. 48 hours later and i get a reading of 12.73volts, so happy again. So im guessing my thingy that chrages battery has gone(altinator/recitfier/regulator dont know what does what if anyone wants to explain?)gd assumtion? or is it my battery thats fried?

Bike spent over 3 years stood still never used so this will be what caused whatever the problem is if anyone wants to solve it?

Cheers

Sheldon
Old 21-07-05, 11:38 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Put the voltmeter across the battery and start it up, the reading shoudl rise from around 12V (off) to 13-15V (running, off idle), if you still get 12-13V then the charging system isn't.

If you get 13-15V then it could be the battery is a bit tired, they can die when left to stand for a long time, so you might as well get a new one as try to persuade it to retain some charge - generally a losing battle.

If the charging system looks suspect, you need to figure out if it's the alternator, regualtor/rectifier module, or both that have gone. I think there are test in the manual, otherwise check this out:

http://www.bikeguru.fsnet.co.uk/alternator.html
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote