SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-02-09, 03:53 PM   #1
timmyboynorwich

Default Potential SV650 Owner.

Hello all, have just registered to the site (found it through bike chat forums).

I own a gpz500s at the moment and i'm looking to buy a new bike..

I had at first planned to buy a cbr600f, but it seems for my price range of 2-2.5K I can get ALOT more for my money with an SV650.

However, first I will need to know a little about the bike!

Being an all year rounder, I need something that will all year round, not prone to rust etc.

What is the general reliability of the bike like?

What to look out for when buying?

Thanks everybody!
Old 01-02-09, 03:59 PM   #2
mike_avfc

Default Re: Potential SV650 Owner...

welcome ! youre probably buying for a commuter trip each day.
you won't be dissapointed, the v-twin engine in it is solid.

what suzuki did is not put all the best sports and weight saving parts on the SV BUT still managed to create a superb little bike with a lot of character. For your price range i would have thought a tidy 54/05 plate should be achievable.

this Q has been asked a lot of times and theres loads of people who can help. typical things are damage (road or trackday), be careful to check brakes, wheel rust, fork seals etc and service history but generally its a solid beast. try and get a faired model just to keep the crap off the engine.
Old 01-02-09, 04:04 PM   #3
timmyboynorwich

Useful advice, yeah I commute to work and college everyday, and although I Can drive I don't because insurance premiums are waaay to expensive, and well, bikes are way more fun! Whats the general ride height like? I stand at 6"2/3 so need something fairly decent sized. Although I suppose most bikes are bigger than the GPZ and obviously take getting used to.
Old 01-02-09, 04:08 PM   #4
hovis

have a quick look through these threads

http://forums.sv650.org/search.php?searchid=1445223

oh, and hello
Old 01-02-09, 04:15 PM   #5
thefallenangel

FI model should be very easy.

Look for evidence of obviously crashing, damage, good maintenance and nay extras which may be of use on a daily commute (Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Crash Bungs etc . . )

But for £2.5k i'd be looking at an 04/05 plate with about 15k on the clock for £2k allowing for extras, tyres, service etc . . .

Also of note the big service for an SV is 15k so any bikes around the mileage check for proof of the service being done as it will cost around £300 ish to do.
Old 01-02-09, 08:19 PM   #6
loupyn

My first 'big' bike was a gpz 500s (and i still miss the little blighter - an idiot rolled over her in a head on)

The SV is a bit taller, I'm flat footed at my 5'11 on it but If I were any shorter I'd struggle a bit. The seating will easily cater for a taller person and I find myself right against the tank.

I've only had my sv for a bit, and I'm absolutely loving it, and my missus cant get over the difference, having had a honda 500 and a hornet for two months ( a hire bike) i'd take the SV over it any day, both for comfort and control.

First impressions are that its an awesome bike to ride, still to try it intercity and i feel i might have ben better off with a faired version...

I paid 2.4k for a naked 2k3 bike from a dealer, fully serviced (in fact over serviced tbh) with 12months tax and mot and a standing ageement with the dealer that any probs in the first 6 months or so they'll sort em. Had trouble with the alarm and true to their word they picked up the bike and fixed the problem.

Had to get myself a paddock stand (£20) some frame sliders (£100) and a top box (£200 inc rack etc) and when its all fitted I got myself a stunning looking bike that just responds to exactly what i want to do and still able to handle the weekly shop with my lass on the back. still intending on getting a fender extender but the whole kaboodle still kept me around my 3.25k budget inc insurance and accesories.

Insurance wise it cost me around 400 quid from performance direct with a 150 excess and 3 non fault crashes on my tab.

hope this helps a bit

Rob