SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-08-05, 10:41 AM   #1
dclifford

Default Will stiff chain link cause chain noise

I have noticed that the chain appears to make a noise under acceleration at low speeds. Only under acceleration. It makes a clicking sound as it goes around. I imagine it is one click per chain revolution. I cleaned and lubed the chain the other day and noticed that 1 of the links seems stiff. The noise is still there. If I get the chain replaced will it fix the problem?
Old 16-08-05, 10:44 AM   #2
Cloggsy

Default Re: Will stiff chain link cause chain noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifford
If I get the chain replaced will it fix the problem?
I should say so... Get it properly inspected I'd say
Old 16-08-05, 10:45 AM   #3
jonboy

To tell if your chain is knackered you'll have to test for "tight spots" by (preferably) putting it on a paddock stand and slowly spinning the wheel round to check it every couple of inches. If you find a tight spot and at the same corresponding point you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket by anything other than a very small amount, then it's time to change your chain and sprockets.

I'm in this dilemma at the moment.

Old 16-08-05, 10:54 AM   #4
dclifford

I did find a tight spot and it does seem to be at the same place as the stiff link. But it cannot be pulled away from the sprocket as you suggest.
Old 16-08-05, 11:05 AM   #5
Jase22

You should be ok riding with that chain. One stiff link shouldn't cause you a massive problem especially if there's not much movement off the sprocket. If you keep the chain well lubed, it might ease it off a bit anyway.

But if you do change anything, you should really do the whole lot at once, running a new chain on part worn sprockets will reduce the life of the chain for a start.
Old 16-08-05, 11:14 AM   #6
dclifford

It is only the noise that is upsetting me. I am going for a track day on Friday. I plan to put the bike in for a service some time after that.
Old 16-08-05, 11:23 AM   #7
Jase22

Wear some ear plugs ha ha
Old 16-08-05, 11:29 AM   #8
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifford
It is only the noise that is upsetting me. I am going for a track day on Friday. I plan to put the bike in for a service some time after that.
My advice then would be to get it checked over before doing the track day. You'll be pushing the bike to extremes and the last thing you want is for it to snap...

Old 16-08-05, 11:56 AM   #9
embee
Mega Poster

Check that the chain isn't adjusted too tight anyway.

You need a good 30mm up/down free play mid span on the bottom run with the bike on its sidestand.

I use a rough guide of being able to easily hold at least 2 links flat against the rubbing strip on the underside of the front of the swingarm (on a curvy, pointy may be slightly different).

The chain gets tighter as the suspension compresses. Try getting someone heavy to sit on it while you check how much tighter it gets. You need to make sure it never loses all the slack or you run a very high risk of it breaking (plus it will wear much faster anyway). Much better to have it slightly too slack than too tight.

Also check the wheel alignment, badly out of line and you'll get more chain noise as it strikes the sideplates as it meets the sprocket. Use a piece of string held tight, tie to the back of the rear tyre, hold tight and move it till it just touches the front of the rear tyre. Set the front wheel parallel to the string and measure the gap. Repeat on the other side. Measurements should be the same. Much easier with someone to help, and easier on a paddock stand, but do-able on your own on the side-stand.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote