SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-08, 03:04 PM   #1
KillaSV

Default Big difference in HP?

For you more experience riders out there. Do you feel a huge power difference when the bike temp is around 120-130F rather then 160-170F? I've noticed with mine if i crack the throttle 3/4 when its colder the front wheel instantly pops up with no problem. When its alittle hotter i can crack it full throttle and the wheel stays on the ground. Only thing i could think of is theres a big difference in power throughout the 30-40 degrees the bike runs, i could be wrong tho. What you guys think
Old 05-04-08, 03:22 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Big difference in HP?

It'll be a bit lean when colder, maybe a dyno run would be helpful (when warm) to see what the fuellings doing.
Old 06-04-08, 11:24 AM   #3
gettin2dizzy

The air is much denser in the cold, so if you're running a bit rich already then that all makes sense
Old 06-04-08, 12:40 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

He's on about when the bikes cold not the ambient temp I think.

This would be explained by a cold engine not atomising its fuel as well, this gives false lean symptoms as fuel in the middle of a droplet doesn't burn.
Old 06-04-08, 02:19 PM   #5
wyrdness

Yes, I find that I get more leagues per hogshead of gasoline, when the temperature is around 120 fahrenheits.
Old 06-04-08, 07:36 PM   #6
KillaSV

Being a brand new bike still with only 2400 miles on it is it common that the exhaust smells bad? Kinda like if you bought a nice older car and took the catalyct converter off it it would smell bad. its the same with my bike, think suzuki would put it on the dyno for free to check if its running lean or rich? Rather not spend 300$ for a dynojet and 3 runs on the dyno right now for a measely 4hp extra. Also it seems to bog alittle at low speeds, not sure if its my wrist moving over bumps or the bike, at first thought it was me but starting to doubt myself on that now.