SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 31-07-09, 10:47 AM   #1
ChrisCTK

Default Shark helmet shape

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice with helmet shapes. My girlfriend currently has a Shark S650 helmet, which after about 30 mins on the bike leaves her with a big red mark on her forehead, and a really bad headach. Its obviously too tight around her forehead, but if anything its a bit lose everywhere else.

This sucks - because I can never go more than 30 mins without having to stop for an hour to let her recover. I want to buy her a new helmet, but are there any recomendations as to what might fit better? I know I am going to have to take her to try some on - but as it takes 30 mins for the pain to start I dont want to have to sit in the shop for hours and hours!

I would have described her head shape as oval - but whatever her head shape is the Shark S650 doesnt like it!

Thanks
Old 31-07-09, 11:10 AM   #2
The Guru

Default Re: Shark helmet shape

Funny that.. Mrs Guru had same thing (Shark S800). Red mark across top of forehead and complained that it hurt after a while wearing it.

I pulled back the linning and had a look. The polystyrene at the front had a 'lip / edge' which was digging against her head... so I got a tea spoon and used the rounded bottom (whilst pressing it against the polystyrene) to smooth the lip.

All this did was compress the tiny lip of polystyrene, so no fear of 'failure' in a crash.

And it worked a treat.. no more sore head.

Last edited by The Guru; 31-07-09 at 11:12 AM.
Old 31-07-09, 11:20 AM   #3
Geoffrey

all helmets are different sizes and shapes, even those made buy the same manufacturer. your girlfriend certainly has the wrong size helmet, try a few other manufactures as well as other shark models.

with shoei and arai (these are the ones i know do it) you can go for a helmet which is one size but have different cheek pads fitted. for exmaple my old shoei was a medium but i had extra small cheek pads fitted.
Old 02-08-09, 12:27 AM   #4
Holdup

When she tries a lid on get her to push the crash helmet fowards (both hands back of crash helmet) and her pull head back so it comes away from her forehead see if you can get your fingers in the gap between her fore head and the top of the lid, this will allow you too feel how much space she has up there (obviously you done want to get your fingers between her fore head and the lid too much as this will be to big, i have an arai and i can just about get my little finger between the lid and my forehead but i feel no pressure on my forehead and can ride for hours with out removeal, also when she is wearing the crash helmet ask her if she feels any pressure aound her head if she says it feels comfortable then that should be a good fit, uncomfortable put it down and move on as it will stay uncomfortable.
Old 04-08-09, 12:07 PM   #5
ChrisCTK

Thanks guys, I tried getting rid of the 'lip/edge', but it didnt seem to work - i guess i will just have to drag her around the shops until one fits nicely. With this helmet she mentioned that straight away she felt pressure but assumed it would wear in, we wont make that mistake again!!
Old 04-08-09, 12:20 PM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

I've got one too. The forehead part is really hard and there's no padding in there - just hard polystyrene covered in thin material. I get exactly the same problem. Fortunately it was a free helmet so has been reduced to an emergency or pillion spare.
Old 04-08-09, 12:26 PM   #7
ridelikeaturtle

Obviously, your girlfriend has a different head shape. See here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...helmet-faq.htm

Just from the lids I've had that fit really well, I'd suggest you try Scorpion, Nuvo, Arai, or AGV to start, and see if she likes any of those any better. I've got an "oval" head, and these fit me much better than the Shark does.

Don't tell her the price at first. You might be surprised how nice the lower-cost lids are fitting these days.

Good luck!
Old 05-08-09, 01:08 PM   #8
GavinD

I had this problem so I got an OGK, then an Arai both are good lids, OGK's can be picked up new for £100 ish and the Arai Condor I got for around £200.

I gave the shark to a mate and it fitted him fine (git!)

Last edited by GavinD; 05-08-09 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 01:45 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

my ex had a similar thing when wearing my Shark lid...it dont affect me at all tho. But AVG seemed to suit her head shape more and they do some nice designs for budget prices.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-09, 07:35 PM   #10
ranathari

I had the exact same area of redness with a Caburg V2 and moved to an Arai Condor - best fit I've ever had and comfortable enough to wear for 300 miles without removing it. Shoei helmets hurt my forehead too so they probably have the same internal shape as Caburg and Shark.