SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-04-15, 07:58 AM   #381
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bar conversion with pics

Thank you chaps for kind thoughts and words. Geo, if you were closer to us I would give you a great big sisterly hug XXX

I was so proud of myself with my shiny modified bike (oh yeah must sort that out, it is still covered in last winters ACF50!) that I happened to mention to some friends that it is now finished and there is nothing I wanted to do to her, well maybe a big bore kit one day for an increase in power. Then a couple of wags said shove a TLS lump in her!

Ahh, errr... Is such a thing even possible? I am not sure that this is a path I wish to walk just yet even if it is. For now I am more than happy with my little mild mannered girly bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-15, 10:30 AM   #382
7755matt

Anything is possible, but it seems (from a quick google) that its a LOT of work and you end of with not much SV left.
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-15, 10:39 PM   #383
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7755matt View Post
Anything is possible, but it seems (from a quick google) that its a LOT of work and you end of with not much SV left.
Well scrap that then, I have spent enough time already building my girly little moped!

We had a short ride on the bikes today and the forks were perfect. High speed bumps barely register and on one section of road that I usually struggle with, I was passed before I noticed.

Looks like it works then.
Quote:

Old 29-04-15, 04:24 PM   #384
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Sylvie had her MOT today, the first since I finished the mods I wanted done. The result was interesting and being able to watch the test and see the checks was worth it too.

First off, I had two advisories. The front tyre does not have much life left in it and there is a small cut in one piece of the tread, but it does not reach the bottom of the tread.

Secondly it seems that my swing arm has developed a tiny amount of play, however he thinks that this just needs nipping up and is the result of my pulling the bits to pieces and it has now bedded in.

The brake test was informative. The Blue Spot brakes are clearly much stronger than the original SV units and he commented that they have an excellent feel to them. Total mileage is now just under 26k and she is in very good condition. I knew that giving her a good clean before the test would let him see all of her good bits.

One thing I did get pulled up for though was the shop sticker on the clutch cover. The lettering was slightly off centre and not at the correct angle. So that was five minutes in the naughty corner.
Quote:

Old 29-04-15, 04:40 PM   #385
Bibio
Mega Poster

excellent news.

Jayne, there is always horizontal movement in the swingarm (they come out the factory like that) unless you grind down one of the bushes. however there should be no vertical play.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-15, 09:01 PM   #386
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
excellent news.

Jayne, there is always horizontal movement in the swingarm (they come out the factory like that) unless you grind down one of the bushes. however there should be no vertical play.
Thank you for the tip Bibio.

With grinding down the bushes, is this because they push against the inner spacer in the swing arm bearing and this is too long? (part no3 on the diagram)

If this is the case, could I just have this inner spacer machined down slightly?

For today, the garage recommended that I check and tighten the swing arm spindle, Steve who owns the place knows that I have had it all apart and he did say that it was only a small amount and I just needed to nip it up a bit, probably a bit of bedding in after all of the work.
Quote:

Old 29-04-15, 09:31 PM   #387
Bibio
Mega Poster

the bedding in as you put it is grease getting squashed out (dont worry this is normal). you could try a nip up on the spindle but i doubt its going to do much unless there was a fair old whack of grease between the inner and outer bushing mating surfaces.

its easier to get the bush part 5 ground down on a surface grinder rather than taking the bearings out and turning down the inner spacer. only problem is that you have to fit and refit as you grind to get the clearance right.

how i done mine was to take the swingarm down the workshop and grind one of the spacers on the surface grinder till i had about .25mm yes a 1/4mm, once i put it all back together it gave me a slight binding swingarm but as time goes by it rubs the ally away on the swingarm tube and fits.

as long as it was not vertical play then all is well and i would leave well alone if i were you. its not going to affect your handling unless your giving it WOT out a bend that has ripples and i mean giving it a big handful. if it is vertical play then something is not tightened up properly and i would start with checking the top shock bushing and bolt first then move on to the swingarm spindle then the knuckle spacers.

just out of curiosity did you put new spacer washers on the main frame to knuckle bush when you done all the work?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-15, 05:50 AM   #388
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
the bedding in as you put it is grease getting squashed out (dont worry this is normal). you could try a nip up on the spindle but i doubt its going to do much unless there was a fair old whack of grease between the inner and outer bushing mating surfaces.
This is entirely possible, I chucked in a load of good quality grease when I put it all back together. I used the principle of what was not needed would ooze out!

Quote:
its easier to get the bush part 5 ground down on a surface grinder rather than taking the bearings out and turning down the inner spacer. only problem is that you have to fit and refit as you grind to get the clearance right.

how i done mine was to take the swingarm down the workshop and grind one of the spacers on the surface grinder till i had about .25mm yes a 1/4mm, once i put it all back together it gave me a slight binding swingarm but as time goes by it rubs the ally away on the swingarm tube and fits.
I do not think that I have anything that can accurately grind a flat surface let alone take off only a quarter of a MM! I think that I will leave that alone then.

Quote:
as long as it was not vertical play then all is well and i would leave well alone if i were you. its not going to affect your handling unless your giving it WOT out a bend that has ripples and i mean giving it a big handful. if it is vertical play then something is not tightened up properly and i would start with checking the top shock bushing and bolt first then move on to the swingarm spindle then the knuckle spacers.

just out of curiosity did you put new spacer washers on the main frame to knuckle bush when you done all the work?
I have not checked if it is vertical play, Steve said he was feeling a little play. All I can do is check it all out. When I fitted the new bearings into the knuckle and dog bone attachments, I think that I fitted the washers that came out, I do remember that it was a snug fit and it all fitted together very precisely. Also when I did put the swing arm back in, the play in the bearings was negligible and I could not feel anything, but as you say this could well have been because of the fresh grease taking up tolerance in there. Again I greased the bearings rather well, rather than the tiny smear used by Suzuki in the first place.

What I have done since though is make sure that the dog bone bearings have plenty of grease, thanks to those charming little nipples I fitted.

I will have a look at it when my back does not hurt and get back to you on this. To be honest, I have not checked any of it in depth since refitting it all, so I should probably have a look and make sure that it is all still tight.
Quote:

Old 30-04-15, 06:54 AM   #389
Geodude
Mega Poster

Glad Sylvies health check went well and you managed a little ride too, fandabbydozy

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 02:02 PM   #390
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Well I went at it and checked it all. Nothing is loose which is reassuring so any play detected must be the natural play in the swing arm from new.

Right, I am going back to bed. It is cold wet and grey, just what you expect of a bank holiday weekend!
Quote: