SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-01-17, 10:46 AM   #2141
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
True, gamblers are always happy to tell people about their wins, but not about their losses. I knew a bloke who lost his house due to his wifes gambling, she had been given treatment / therapy and they thought she was cured but never underestimate the guile and deceit of people with an addiction.
I worked with a lad who got addicted. It ended up that he'd ask colleagues for money as he was so in debt, even those of us he wasn't that close to. His land line was constantly ringing with debt collection agencies. In the end he was let go by the company as he was always ringing in sick when he'd been up all night gambling, and eventually stole stuff from work to sell to pay for more gambling. Work tried to help him initially but it didn't work. It was a real shame as he was a nice lad at heart, he fixed Chris8886's laptop for him and refused any payment as he did in in his lunch hour with his managers' approval. Sadly I suspect he'll always have a problem and it was one long downward spiral.

My only addiction are Mini Eggs. The good thing is they are only on sale Jan - Easter so I have an enforced cold turkey every year. I basically use the confectionery equivalent of methadone to ease myself off them - which is Maltesers.
Old 24-01-17, 10:17 AM   #2142
shiftin_gear98

Made me smile...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5331c904630cc7f217110cc65147c6e4.jpg (98.5 KB, 0 views)
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 11:22 AM   #2143
Trev B

When asked"what's the best way to come away from Vegas with $1M dollars ?"his friend said"take $3M with you !"that it's about sums gambling up !!
Old 24-01-17, 09:48 PM   #2144
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I made a rum and ginger cake for my work mates. Takes ten days to complete as you feed it more rum as it matures.

Brought a slice home and had it with honey and walnut ice cream.

I don't normally eat cake or pudding but that was yummy.

Old 25-01-17, 08:26 AM   #2145
Red ones
Mega Poster

I'm convinced my boss is lazy.
He asked me to write up my own annual review minutes and is now chasing me for them.

I accidentally shredded the notes.

Oh dear.

Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 09:31 AM   #2146
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
He asked me to write up my own annual review minutes and is now chasing me for them.

Oh dear.

One of the reasons I went self employed is to get away from the seemingly endless and usually pointless objectives setting and performance review sessions. My reviews were normally written in advance by someone who did not keep tabs on what I did so could not possibly know how well I'd done against something that was usually totally out of my control and not related to the job I was doing. The review meeting was always a formality and me trying to point out how well I'd actually done in reality and did not deserve a mediocre rating was a waste of oxygen.
Old 25-01-17, 09:42 AM   #2147
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
One of the reasons I went self employed is to get away from the seemingly endless and usually pointless objectives setting and performance review sessions. My reviews were normally written in advance by someone who did not keep tabs on what I did so could not possibly know how well I'd done against something that was usually totally out of my control and not related to the job I was doing. The review meeting was always a formality and me trying to point out how well I'd actually done in reality and did not deserve a mediocre rating was a waste of oxygen.
This....

I've put in for a proper wage rise as I'm well under market rate currently, not holding my breath though!

Not sure I've got the effort in me to go back to contracting though, I like being home of an evening.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 07:50 PM   #2148
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Smile of the day - What is yours?

The boss openly admits he doesn't understand what I do. In fact I think only 2 people do and they both work for me.

Unfortunately there is one other person who tells everyone I'm carp at what I do and is trying to undo everything behind me.

I only have a relevant degree and postgrad qualifications, 20 years experience and am studying for another degree level qualification in what I do. They have no relevant training or experience and are employed to do something very different.

Last edited by Red ones; 25-01-17 at 07:52 PM.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 08:21 PM   #2149
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post

Oh dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post

Well my team have to write their mid year & end of year review for me, and I have to do the same for my boss. In our current system a certain percentage have to be marked down and within my grade we have meetings to decide who's going to get marked down within our teams.

My boss has to do the same for my grades in his department. It wastes a load of our time, on something that isn't used in promotion or job exercises, demoralizes anyone who got marked down who didn't deserve it, and is the most loathed reporting system I've ever known.

Thankfully its the last year for this one, but we don't know whats coming in to replace it.

We would all happily not have one, if you're not up to scratch then have a poor performance system.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-17, 07:46 AM   #2150
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

All of this is one of the reasons I am so glad that I've gone self employed.
The only time I hear from the boss where I am is when I've ****ed up.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote