SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 17-07-05, 08:08 PM   #1
Jabba

Default Shark S500 Review: the TWO helmet

After a brief 20 mile ride I thought I'd share my views on the Shark S500. Please note that this is the "S500" and not the "S500 Air", although I suspect that the differences are limited to the styling of the vents.

Comfort:
Absolutely fine for me. The helmet is way lighter than my flip-front and a nicer place to put my head. I can't believe how light it is; but that's probably just me not being used to anything other than a heavy flip-front. The venting seems to work and there was a lovely cooling breeze over the top of my bonce even at low speeds.

Wearing shades proved no problem.

Noise:
Significantly quieter than my flip front. This is probably down to a properly sealed visor, a snug fit and the lack of a flip-front. However, ear plugs were a must for anything other than brief bouts of high speed on my naked Hornet.

There is also a bit of "Roger Whittaker" doing life-savers at 50+mph. I think that this was as a result of the top-front vents being open. Not too loud, though.

Visor:
The "Push One" QR visor system is very impressive. In any visor position other than closed, simply press the button and off it pops Couldn't be easier.

The ratchet mechanism holds the visor firmly shut during high-speed life-savers and the sealing between lid and visor looks perfect.

Stability:
for me, the best bit. Life-savers on the motorway weren't a problem, and not a hint of the visor trying to open.

I experienced some slight upward pressure from the lid at motorway speeds, but don't forget that that's on a naked bike. Miles better in this regard than my other lid, which would fly off if it weren't for the chin-strap

Overall:
I'm pleasantly surprised, and for the normal retail cost of around £100 it's good value. And at £60 or so on the 'net, they will be hard to beat.

Did well in the Ride mag tests a couple of months ago. Try an HJC AC11, £100 from Infinity or Hein Gericke, as well and buy the one that fits best.

I give it 9/10
Old 31-07-05, 10:31 PM   #2
Vod

Looking to get one of these as soon as I can find me a black k5

wounded, absolutely gutted that i missed the two offer though, looking at a ton now

still at least i won't have to buy a disc lock i suppose
Old 03-08-05, 06:38 PM   #3
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vod
wounded, absolutely gutted that i missed the two offer though, looking at a ton now
The very swish-looking S500 Air os going for £59.99 delivered on www.racevisors.co.uk

HTH
Old 07-09-05, 09:52 PM   #4
Warren

they sent me the s500 air got it this morning.
Old 10-11-05, 08:31 PM   #5
Andy13_uk

nice reveiw! got any pics of the helmets? i know which one your talking about as was about to get one before i relised i needed boots first, seems like some bargins online aswell