SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-09-06, 03:05 PM   #1
Mesomorphman

Default GSXR Front End Conversion Handling Issues

In response to my GSXR damper question, he mentioned the 60 profile tire giving him issues (worst tankslapperhe's ever had) after his GSXR frot end conversion.

What handling differences should I expect due to the slightly lower position. However, I will be using a 70 profile tire, ont a 60. The GSXR forks still sit slightly lower, if I'm not mistaken. Will I be needing to have that damper on?

I understand that it will handle much differently (in a positive way) after the conversion, I am just talking about the negative effects I could experience and what to expect and what would be a "YOU DID SOMETHING VERY WRONG!!!!" issue.

Thanks for al the help so far.
Old 09-09-06, 03:14 PM   #2
weazelz

having shorter forks is going to quicken up the steering, I don't know how much shorter the gsx-r forks are, butt here's a markedly noticeable difference in steering on my curvy by dropping the yokes down the fork legs by 6-8mm

by the sound of it, the forks are a lot shorter, so using a 70-section tyre is going to gain you ~12mm of front ride height, so this should help some

I would try it & see - if you find you need a damper then get yourself one, if you don't then don't
Old 09-09-06, 06:07 PM   #3
BILLY

I'm running my curvey with a GSXR front end conversion and using a 70 profile front tyre and there are no problems at all and no need for a damper!!!!
Old 09-09-06, 06:18 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Mine has pretty extreme geometry for a road bike- the GSXR forks with the 120/70 tyre drop the front approximately 15mm (depending on actual tyre size, since it does vary) and the rear's raised something like 2 inches at the point of the tail with the long shock and dogbones. It's only ever tankslapped when I made a mess of the shock setup, never because of the front. The 120/60 drops you by another 12mm or so.

I've never felt any need for a damper at all, since i got the rear fixed... It'll give a wee shake at absolute full chat if the road surface isn't smooth (which is knocking on 80bhp in this bike) but nothing that threatens to get worse. It's worth mentioning, though, that the Ohlins rear helps things out a lot- tankslappers are massively affected by the rear end, even though they're shown up most by the front. With the standard shock in (when the Ohlins is being serviced) I take some of the height off and it's always a bit less happy- I avoid full power in first and second because it squats too much and goes flappy on any sort of undulation.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 06:31 PM   #5
Mesomorphman

Thanks Guys. You've all been tons of help.

Also, I didn't know tankslappers were effected by the rear end, as northwind stated. Guess it makes sense, just never thought of it that way. Good to know I won't be building myself a death trap, though.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-09-06, 06:49 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Perhaps I should have said "often" now I read it again. But no doubt all of mine were directly from the rear. The Kwak 636's a good example of that too.If the rear squats or kicks, it weights and unweights the front.
Old 09-09-06, 07:20 PM   #7
Mesomorphman

So if I'm a little squirrely up front (under moderate acceleration) I may be well served to stiffen the rear to see if that helps?
Old 09-09-06, 09:00 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Hum. Well, maybe. But maybe not When mine was worst, I had too much rebound damping- the shock was taking too long to recover from bumps, so it was still compressed when I hit the next bump, setting off a wobble. I'll be honest here, I'm far from a suspension expert- I can get good results from trial and error, but that's my limit...
Old 10-09-06, 01:46 AM   #9
Mesomorphman

Yeah, me too, except I'm mostly error. Well, thanks anyway for the help and I guess I'll just have to play it by ear mostly.
Suspension is probably one of the topmost mystifying things for a rider (right behind "I just don't understand why Suzuki won't give me that MotoGP contract, I can wheelie and everything!?")