SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-17, 10:41 AM   #81
Blapper

Default Re: My first pointy

Those throttle springs are just too danged strong. I get a tingley little finger. The R6 throttle tube makes it worse.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 11:29 AM   #82
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I have to fight my age and work related small ailments to ride so do everything I can to make my rides comfortable.I've already fitted larger diameter grips.These relieve pressure on my hands by not having to grip as hard.Yes I have to make a slightly more pronounced action but this is a small cost and with the power delivery of the SV it's negligible to me.

I keep looking on Ebay but can't find the ones I use anymore

But here's a bargain that might help for,"Pocket Lint" money.Unfortunately the throttle slide is only a single pull

£5.20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-7-8-22m...QAAOSw2x1XLbGu

Also,"Oxford" do a wide grip,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Oxford...wAAOSwU-pXqHuY

Need to check dimensions(Length) to make sure they would fit

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 16-04-17 at 11:40 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 12:51 PM   #83
Blapper

Yeah, I know what you mean about being an older rider.

I have the fat grips, they're good. It's the need to grip because of the springs trying to close the throttle that gets to me. When I had the clip-ons it was my weight on my hands that killed me. Now, with straight bars it's the throttle trying to close.
Old 16-04-17, 01:02 PM   #84
Taipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
That really has been neglected

Just to amend a previous post.I don't think I will be able to use my,"Vista" cruise control.Even if I fit a standard throttle shaft I think control clusters on the SVs would prevent it.Sent for a cheap,"Cramp Buster" to try but on long safe stretches of road I also use the,"Thumb-Over" technique for short periods to rest my throttle and clutch hands.

This just means bringing the thumb on top of the throttle and not gripping it but using the palm/heel of the hand to hold position.As stated only useful on longer safe/empty stretches of road with no side-roads/turn offs that would require fast action but can give needed relief for short periods.
Scoots always look like that as the body work covers everything up so it doesn't normally get cleaned. Its getting a good dust down this time though and the connectors greased etc.

I've moved the bars back now so hopefully wont be putting so much weight on my wrists which may help. The riding position is just starting to feel normal to me now, but then i've been riding scoots with their upright position and i've just sold a Harley which had forward controls, so it would feel odd to me to start with!
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 01:07 PM   #85
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

There are two things that come to mind to help.

1:Try a ,"Cramp Buster" even if you have to fettle it a bit to suit your needs as I might have to do.

2:More radical.On one of my CXs I could never get the push cable to return right even with new cable etc so from a forum post I removed the return cable.
The caveat with this is that you have to make sure the Pull cable is well lubed and ALL the mechanisms are 100%.
It was on the Green CX in the picture I posted.I never had a single problem with the throttle after doing this.All it did was make a little difference inasmuch as you had to make a very slight conscious effort to close the throttle but this is good practice anyway but there was less pressure required to hold the throttle open with my palm/heel of my hand or normal operation.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 16-04-17 at 01:12 PM.
Old 16-04-17, 06:48 PM   #86
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Got bored so thought I would try and fit my Vista Cruise control.Took the throttle shaft off and ground all the fins off and seems to be fine.

Not test ridden it yet but should be ok

Doesn't interfere too much with the Starter button or lights and as I usually ride with the lights on no real problems
Old 18-04-17, 01:07 PM   #87
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Took another look at the bike today. I put a new air box temp sensor in no then went to fit new plug caps but I'd bought the wrong ones! Decided to try and balance up the TBs with my carbtune with its cleaned out lines and freshly polished rods. Seemed to get them pretty close but couldn't get them bang on? The bike does have a low revs misfire though? I'll get a set of plug caps and see if that cures it, but will all the plumbing being messed about with and unplugged and a new sensor fitted I think a good run is in order to get everything settled down.

The misfire is noticeable when holding it about 2k revs you can here a cyclinder kicking in and out, by it does seem to pull strongly as the revs build? Anyone had anything similar?

You reminded me of something.In one of your posts you say you always get tinglies in the right hand on SVs.I've spent more hours than I care to mention fighting vibrations as I'm very sensitive to them.I got my old CX500s pretty damn good and they were/are well worse than a more modern SV.

The trick when balancing the carbs on my old CXs was to get them close but deliberately slightly off and then use the final tightening of the balance lock-nut to bring them in perfectly level.Even if they were slightly out I got,"Tinglies".

As a side-note:

I had a 100 mile ride yesterday using A roads/B roads/Goat tracks/Dual carriageways and some motorway to check-out the,"Vista" cruise control I have managed to fit.
Sod's law.It works great but I hardly needed it.I didn't notice any tinglies in my right hand with my larger diameter soft rubber/gel grips.

This tells me at least two things.

1:There are no or few worn components inside the engine causing any oscillations

2:And more important on a V-Twin when dealing with vibrations,the carb/fuel balance between the cylinders is perfect on my 1999 Curvy.

I used over 90% just front brake braking.I hardly had to touch the rear brake.Compared with my old 80 lLbs heavier(That's 40 2 pound bags of sugar) and sub-standard brakes on the CX the SV650 Front braking system is phenomenal for me.

I did do some,"Threshold" braking(Emergency Braking) on empty roads to get used to the new braking power and required change of braking procedure from my old bikes.Man can I pull up fast and safe on this bike

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 18-04-17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 18-04-17, 02:33 PM   #88
Blapper

I'm awaiting arrival of one of those 'palm rest' devices so I don't have to squeeze the throttle so much. Cost? 99P so worth a go...
Old 18-04-17, 02:47 PM   #89
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
I'm awaiting arrival of one of those 'palm rest' devices so I don't have to squeeze the throttle so much. Cost? 99P so worth a go...
Just be careful with them.I've seen posts over the years where people have spun their motorcycles when doing slow speed manoeuvres in places like car-parks etc and laid the bikes down by catching them and throttling when they didn't mean to.

As you know the SVs won't like even a slow speed lay down on the left as it screws the gear/clutch change pretty quick.

I sent for a cheap one as well but doubt I need it now.If I did fit one I'd work out how to keep it out-of-the-way until I really needed it.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 18-04-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 18-04-17, 10:32 PM   #90
Bibio
Mega Poster

if your suffering from tingles or pins and needles its usually due to your gloves being too tight and not enough length in the fingers. this pushes on the tips of your fingers and coupled with the vibrations causes the tingles/needles. when buying gloves in a shop i always buy the next size up even if the ones i have tried fit well. ''choking the chicken'' will also give you tingles/needles, you should never 'grip' bars.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote