SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-11-10, 11:24 AM   #1
Berlin

Default Curvy, K3 and K4> wheel differences?

There was a thread about the differences in K3 wheels. (but I'll be damned if I can find it. Turns out the search function is pants at words less than 4 letters long)

IIRC, the Early K3 wheels were oval in spoke cross section similar to the Curvies but with different dimentions. The later ones had diamond section spokes ala K4> bikes.

Now my K5 race bike has oval section spokes but the front wheel is defo a pointy wheel as it has flat discs. The wets also have the same oval spoke design.

So the question is, are these early K3 wheels on a K5 bike or are they off something else like a Bandit?

Also, does anyone know if the early K3 rear wheels are different from the standard curvy rear wheel or is it (or not) a matter of the spacers being different/ the same?

Cheers, C

Last edited by Berlin; 13-11-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 13-11-10, 02:36 PM   #2
rowdy

Default Re: curvy K3 and K4> wheel differences?

Take it you mean Pointy k3 and k4 wheels

Think they are all the same mate, haven't seen a pointy with diamond section wheels think you been mistaken.

Edit; can't help with the rear wheel question.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.

Last edited by rowdy; 13-11-10 at 02:38 PM.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-10, 04:25 PM   #3
Fatboy SV

I believe the spacers are all different for the curvy and pointy models. TWFRacing make spacers so you can interchange the wheels! http://twfracing.com/zparts.html they are captive spacers as well so they are supposed to be easier to change wheels.

Last edited by Fatboy SV; 13-11-10 at 04:27 PM.
Old 13-11-10, 04:53 PM   #4
Berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Take it you mean Pointy k3 and k4 wheels

Think they are all the same mate, haven't seen a pointy with diamond section wheels think you been mistaken.

Edit; can't help with the rear wheel question.
Nope, there was a comma there when I typed it. Now re-edited.

"Curvy, K3 and K4> wheels"
Old 13-11-10, 05:09 PM   #5
Berlin

Well, looking through Google images, It seems I may have been "mistaken" as they all have oval spokes.

Which means I've caught someone using Naughty wheels on their pointy for Minitwins if it works out to be correct

I took it that their wheels were "standard" and they were diamond profile spokes

Can someone hurry up and confirm this so I can start the blackmail?

C
Old 13-11-10, 05:33 PM   #6
Fatboy SV

As far as I am aware all the wheels have oval spokes and not diamond!
Old 13-11-10, 06:12 PM   #7
barwel1992

they have oval spokes the gsxr's have the diamond ones
Old 13-11-10, 06:29 PM   #8
Berlin

Let the blackmail begin!

C
Old 13-11-10, 06:33 PM   #9
barwel1992

lol
Old 13-11-10, 06:45 PM   #10
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy SV View Post
I believe the spacers are all different for the curvy and pointy models. TWFRacing make spacers so you can interchange the wheels! http://twfracing.com/zparts.html they are captive spacers as well so they are supposed to be easier to change wheels.
Not the spacers as per se but the K3+ has a larger diameter spindle and so larger diameter bearings and a larger diameter spacer.

You can fit a pointy rear wheel to a curvy just by fitting the curvy spacer and wheel bearings (or the TWFRacing kit), I should know, my current rear is a silver pointy wheel.

Druid