SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-06-09, 08:19 PM   #1
slloyd

Default Battery Issue - Why does this happen?

How is it that I was riding to work today and it took about an 1hr, then while filtering through traffic I loose the clutch and stall the bike.

No problem, went to restart and on trying to restart the bike it was totally dead...no spark, just a clicking sound.

So paddle the bike, and walk it to the nearest garage close to work, and get them to jump start it.

All fired up wwithin about 10 seconds, and they checked the charging unit, and all was well. Volt Meter read 14v when throttle turned.

I've had this problem before, so will be contacting BatteryMan for a replacement, but confused as to why if the charging system is working why would the battery just drain down so rapidly?
slloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:20 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Battery Issue - Why does this happen?

It'll show 14v still when running, the battery just may not be holding that charge. Probably a duff battery, I think batteryman had a decent one all ready to go for £28? That XB12s thing.
Old 10-06-09, 08:21 PM   #3
CarlosSV650S

could just be the battery fooked not holding the charge mate.
Old 10-06-09, 08:26 PM   #4
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I had a similar problem on my old bike. Convinced myself it was the reg/rec so borrowed one off a mate who knew his was fine, his bike wa off the road at the time for other repairs so i had it on for a while. Problem still existed.

Turned out to have a dud battery. I took it out tte bike and charged it on the optimate overnight, all lights green so it went bach in the bike and ....click.click.click.click.

Called the website i bought it from and explained the problem, he said "sorry mate, sometimes one in a batch is a lemon", and sent me a replacemt which was totally fine.

yours could be this or a wire rubbing somewhere intermittently too i guess if the bikes old enough.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:35 PM   #5
slloyd

Yes, I too have placed it on my optimate and put it back on the bike to experience the same results - only to get better luck jumping from a car battery.

Lookong to order a replacement battery now, as I'm fed up with getting caught out at such inconvenient times, especially when this problem is intermitant as well makes it even more annoying.
Old 10-06-09, 08:53 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I did what you did re stalling it and it not starting. I was between lanes 2 and 3 on a dual carriageway with stationary trafiic, facing uphill in the pouring rain!!!

Try pushing a non starting bike thru that, lol.

I'd call who you bought it from if its a recent buy and they may just do right by you.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Old 10-06-09, 08:58 PM   #7
slloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I did what you did re stalling it and it not starting. I was between lanes 2 and 3 on a dual carriageway with stationary trafiic, facing uphill in the pouring rain!!!

Try pushing a non starting bike thru that, lol.
Lol. Mine wasn't that bad. Gray Inn Road, Kings X end, so a little flat. so quite easy to paddle away as traffic was all stationary.

I've had the bike about 4 months now, but may call the seller to see if he does right or please ignorance.
Old 10-06-09, 09:04 PM   #8
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

good luck