SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-13, 11:09 PM   #1
RavenWire

Default Oil cooler cover change - stripped screw

Trying to swap the oil cooler cover for a beowulf one and somehow managed to strip the screw. Any ideas on the best way to remove it? Tried putting a piece of fabric between the screwdriver and screw, can get some traction but won't budge
Old 02-12-13, 08:08 AM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

If it's that stuck it will probably require drilling out. Being a small bolt in an assembly made from relatively soft materials, it would be unwise to start doing anything brutal and risk damaging the cooler.

Also be assured you're not alone in finding this bolt stuck - it's right in the stream of water and road crud from the front wheel, when I ever find one that isn't stuck it's a real surprise.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 09:04 AM   #3
RavenWire

Default Re: Oil cooler cover change - stripped screw

My other option is to cut a notch on the top of the screw and see if i can get it moved with a flathead. Is it easy enough to do with a drill iif it comes to it?
Old 02-12-13, 12:23 PM   #4
wideguy

I'd try a light impact driver, perhaps some valve grinding compound on the driver bit/screw head for extra grip.
Old 02-12-13, 01:07 PM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

+1 on the grinding paste
Old 02-12-13, 01:47 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

It's a small soft screw that is properly corrosion welded in place - they always are - if you can grip the screw well enough to turn it worth a damn you'll twist the head off. Drill the head off and carefully remove the guard, then drill right through the rest of the screw and replace with suitable nut and bolt.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 04:58 PM   #7
mrs t

hey i did exactly the same the other day swopping mine for a beowulf as well, had to drill it out, but all well now and a nice new shiny rad and oil cooler guards fitted
Old 04-07-15, 06:15 PM   #8
Toooldtodie

Wish I'd checked here first!
My cooler guard rusted to nothing (must be lying on an A road somewhere) and I could not remove said screw.
Have had to cable tie the rather lovely Evotech replacement over it as it had corrosion-welded itself despite a weeks worth of daily WD40 spraying. Should have known it wouldn't be that simple.
Not pretty, but stops me having to replace the cooler in the long run.. I hope.
Any ideas what's going to rot next so I can start budgeting?!
Old 04-07-15, 10:57 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

its a suzuki, everything so get some ACF-50.

btw for those stubborn screws get a proper JIS screwdriver. yes they are expensive for a screwdriver but trust me when you do need it you will be glad you have it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 09:50 AM   #10
Corny Gizmo

Apologies for the resurrection... I too have rounded the oil guard retaining screw, also one of the radiator guard screws. Anyone know where I can buy these?