SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-12-16, 05:09 PM   #1
500tie

Default Anyone use a front paddock stand

I've got a curvy SV and recently brought an Oxford front Padock stand.

Here's the issue though I've gone to put the bike on it today and the forks kept slipping off the legs.
The other day it went on fine, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong today.

Does anyone also have an issue with a front paddock stand?
Old 22-12-16, 07:28 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone use a front paddock stand

I always had a problem with stand on my SV. I'm sure one leg was longer than the other which didn't help (mk2). The same stand works fine with my VFR.
Old 22-12-16, 07:37 PM   #3
nutzboutbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
I always had a problem with stand on my SV. I'm sure one leg was longer than the other which didn't help (mk2). The same stand works fine with my VFR.
Indeed one leg has a pinch bolt making it a little longer.
I use paddock stands on my curvy with no issue.
Old 22-12-16, 08:00 PM   #4
500tie

I must be being a tard, I'll have another bash tomorrow
Old 22-12-16, 08:17 PM   #5
Tomor
Mega Poster

Do yourself a favour, sell on the oxford stand and get yourself one of these. Brilliant bits of kit, I have one myself, and feel so much more secure when lifting the bike. Not to mention that it also allows you to take the forks out whist it is up!
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/wheel-tyre-related-tools/warrior-front-head-stand

Last edited by Tomor; 22-12-16 at 08:22 PM.
Tomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 08:56 AM   #6
Mickle

Excuse the statement of the obvious, but we must install the rear stand first !!!

I know...... Just checking
Old 23-12-16, 03:07 PM   #7
500tie

Yep I'm putting it on the rear stand first Mickle.

Tomor thanks for that think I'm gong to have to look into one of the headstock stands.

I've had another bash today and it would seem that the fork prongs are a little too wide, it will go on the stand but not with huge amounts of confidence. I'd certainly hate to take my front wheel off and take it for a new tyre, I'd be petrified of coming back to the front of my bike being on the deck
Old 23-12-16, 03:47 PM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If it is the type of stand that has studs that go vertically up inside the bottom of the fork legs then if you're going to be removing the front wheel it's worth whipping the pinch bolt out first, just make sure the studs are not so long that they actually reach the spindle, otherwise it not only makes it hard to remove, but nigh on impossible to put back!

If you're only putting it on the stand to put tyre warmers on etc it's worth grinding down the studs so they are just long enough to locate the stand, but not so they bottom out on anything.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 04:02 PM   #9
Blapper

As the question was about how to use a front paddock stand, I didn't respond but if we are going to start recommending other stands, then I am very happy with my Abba stand. Wifey bought me the add-on for the front and although a little bit of a faff to raise the front (I don't weigh enough), it gives completely open access to the front of the machine. I am currently overhauling front calipers and changing the fork oil. Brilliant.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-16, 04:14 PM   #10
500tie

Red herring- no it isn't one of those style stands. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for the recommendations guys think I'll have to look into something next year as I do a lot of my own bike maintenance.