SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-02-07, 04:42 PM   #1
Baph

Default Contingency planning

An email I received from the chairman of the company (edited to remove certain names etc)
Quote:
There may be bad weather coming so the following is the contingency / lift plan should there be really bad stuff. So based on geography and 4X4 usage - suggested as follows:
X can pick up Y, since X owns a 4x4 etc.
We will leave it up to the picker-uppers to arrange things with their respective contacts. Please ensure you have home/telephone numbers for each other - please make sure you have this before the end of the day.
Those from Denbigh can stagger in!
Will arrange others to work from home if possible.
Followed by an email from the director responsible for my department (development)
Quote:
I would suggest that we plan for the worst and if you cannot get in tomorrow we make sure that you are in a position to work from home. Therefore please make sure that you have lots of work to keep you busy. I would suggest twice as much as normal as you will obviously not get the interruptions that you have to put up with here. Thanks.
Bugger
Old 07-02-07, 04:44 PM   #2
Filipe M.

Default Re: Contingency planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
An email I received from the chairman of the company (edited to remove certain names etc)
Quote:
There may be bad weather coming so the following is the contingency / lift plan should there be really bad stuff. So based on geography and 4X4 usage - suggested as follows:
We will leave it up to the picker-uppers to arrange things with their respective contacts. Please ensure you have home/telephone numbers for each other - please make sure you have this before the end of the day.
Followed by an email from the director responsible for my department (development)
Quote:
I would suggest that we plan for the worst and if you cannot get in tomorrow we make sure that you are in a position to work from home. Therefore please make sure that you have lots of work to keep you busy. I would suggest twice as much as normal as you will obviously not get the interruptions that you have to put up with here. Thanks.
Bugger
Old 07-02-07, 05:01 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bugger
Working from home and how to avoid it.

1) Does the Company supply you with a laptop/computer owned and maintained by you?

If no, then something nasty can happen to your computer, Virus, Kid, whatever.

Another good one is to refuse to install software that is only needed for work, you can use the "I dont install apps I dont need day to day" or you can point out the legal implications of company owned software on a machine the company doesn't own.

2) Does the Company supply you with a connection to the Office.

If no, then again, the line can go down, your router can go bang, whatever

Just a couple of thoughts

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 05:04 PM   #4
andyaikido

Regarding giving lifts:

at what point does it stop being 'giving a workmate a lift to work' and 'using the vehicle for work purposes' for which they probably won't have insurance?
Old 07-02-07, 05:17 PM   #5
Baph

SoulKiss, I have no intention of working from home The company doesn't need to know that though I have a fair amount of mandays available

andyaikido, I have no idea, and I won't be getting a lift, nor will I be giving a lift.
Old 07-02-07, 07:15 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
lol, ask them if this is the case to let you work at home everyday! what a daft comment!