SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-09-06, 08:51 AM   #1
Baph

Default Thank you Mrs BMW driver...

OK folks, sit down, you'll need to! Not only does this thread involve a BMW and a woman driver (more accurately a school run mum), but also, a GOOD example of driving!

I set off late for work his morning & made the risk assessment that I live in North Wales (police heaven) but that I was going to push the pace up a bit to make time back.

So, after hooning it along my private runway that is the A55, I start coming up to the 50mph zone around Colwyn Bay. By now I'm sat behind a BMW X5, complete with screaming kids in the back seat. So I back off the pace & settle down to the approx 45mph that the traffic is doing.

All of a sudden, Mrs X5, sat in the right lane for the last god knows how long, moves seriously left in her lane. Now I'm thining "Is that just bad driving, or is this them letting me past?" Being cautious, I moved right, and hung back. She went past several cars, each time moving back to the middle of the lane, then moving left again. Then she put her left tyres over the white line & sat there. I took this as a green light, so dropped from 6th to 4th (at around 50mph ish, so revs were 5-6k), gently squeezed the throttle & went past.

As I find it customary to wave a thank you (and as such I'm starting to develop friends that I know only by numberplate on my regular commute) I did this, and almost fell off my bike in shock. She flashed her lights back at me as if to say "You're welcome"

This experience gave me the confidence bost I needed to actually start filtering at morotway speeds, since before this I wouldn't unless traffic was slow. The rest of the way to work was spent cautiously playing around inbetween cars/vans/trucks, and I made it to work with plenty of time to spare.

The confidence boost wasn't really that I found a polite driver, it was more that I knew they had seen me, and knew they were letting me past. This got me some experience being pretty close between a moving car (and a fairly large one at that) and a static armco. Nothing bad happened despite my initial concerns, so it makes it a more apealing idea next time around. Positive re-enforcement & all that.

So basically, yes, I still automatically assume that all BMW drivers are worse than most other cages, but I do acknowledge that stereotypes don't apply to the whole group, regardless of the stereotype being applied.
Old 13-09-06, 09:10 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Did some "fast" filtering last night on the A4 - was a real buzz until the little voice in my head started yelling "You are filtering HOW fast - SLOW DOWN!!!"

Lanes were a little tight, but had no problems - speed was maybe 30 tops in traffic moving about 10-15.

So fairly confident with filtering on the CG125 - think that confidence is going to take a knock when I get on the SV tho......

David

EDIT - I put fast in quotes because its fast for me, not necessarily for everyone else

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-06, 10:19 AM   #3
simple simon

Clearly you are completely mistaken and have read the situation wrong or you are a liar. Stop deluding yourself and realize that you are fortunate she did not kill you.

Thought I'd get this in before someone who means it does! :P
Old 13-09-06, 10:28 AM   #4
Mr Toad

come and play on the M25 every day
Old 13-09-06, 10:35 AM   #5
Baph

LMAO simon.

The truth of the matter is that there's several cars now that I see regularly on my commute. It's got to the point where I can spot them from a good half mile away & know they have or will soon see me, and move over as soon as they can.

Always give a wave as I pass. Makes the ride to work much more pleasurable than just being stuck on what is effectively a motorway. Far too many straight lines but curtosey/manners of the folks around me makes it better!

Toad (et al City riders), I don't dare assume anything other than my 50mile stretch of the A55 is anywhere near this civil, so I'd be even more cautious! (Esp since falling off hurts )
Old 13-09-06, 10:50 AM   #6
Balky001
Mega Poster

Soulkiss - replace the voices in your head with 'Don't Stop Me Know' by Queen or something similar

I have to agree, a nice thank you and wave to accomodating drivers does make for a more pleasant ride, and also makes you feel a lot more justified when you rant at a bad driver!
Old 13-09-06, 11:11 AM   #7
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss
EDIT - I put fast in quotes because its fast for me, not necessarily for everyone else
I was going to say..CG125.............fast???

Seriously though, any bike can be fast enough to hurt you.
Old 13-09-06, 11:18 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan
Quote:

even pedal powered ones.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-06, 11:21 AM   #9
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan
Quote:

even pedal powered ones.
IIRC, northwind highsided one of those, so they really must be dangerous things!
Old 13-09-06, 01:34 PM   #10
ArtyLady

Im not nagging but - please just be careful - I know lots of people do it but - filtering at high speeds is dangerous and IIRC if caught can be a dangerous driving offence? (correct me if Im wrong someone) and dont imagine you can read anyones mind cos you cant - well not enough to be 100% sure of what they are gonna do. Just my 2penneth worth.

ride safe.