SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-11-05, 07:36 AM   #1
MavUK

Default Friday Afternoon / Monday Morning bike - HELP!!!!

Hey All,

Well just a few weeks after getting the SV back on the road (A lake in the tank and carbs was the reason last time, it now has a new filler cap and lives under a bike cover to stop this happenning again) I was nearly stuck again this morning...

Travelling at 60mph when suddenly it's very quiet and I'm starting to slow down, twist the throttle (reflex response to slowing down I think ) and nothing. Not good in the outside lane of the motorway...

By the time the bike slowed to about 45ish she suddenly started up again, was a bit rough for a few secs, then back to (hopefully) normal.

I'm thinking it can only be one of two things - fuel delivery issues (Tank is almost full, so plenty in there, even if it can't get to the carbs / engine) or ECU is on it's way out - as it was both cylinders and totally dead, not missing or anything, just absolutely nothing...

Really starting to get me down now. I love the SV, but with a 140km per day commute I need something I can have faith in...

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be? Or how I can fix it... Don't think I can really afford to start looking for another new bike after only a year of having this one...

TIA

Stu
Old 09-11-05, 08:02 AM   #2
mattSV
Mega Poster

If you have had the fuel tank up, check that the fuel lines underneath have not been caught/kinked when you dropped it back down.

My dealer trapped a hose after my first service, which gave me the same symptoms that you described.

HTH
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 08:10 AM   #3
MavUK

Cheers - hope this is the same... I'll have a check when I get home.

Thanks

Stu
Old 09-11-05, 08:24 AM   #4
SteveR

Any strange lights / conditions on clocks ?
I would guess the speedo was reading normally but the tacho was zero.
I wouldn't expect any other lights on though.

You might want to check sidestand cutout - is the sidestand held securely, and is the switch operating correctly ? Apart from that, I'd look for chafed / frayed wiring
Old 09-11-05, 08:37 AM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Ermmmmm two words.......

CARB

ICING

Possibly. If it was very cool (3-9c) and damp, theres your problem
Old 09-11-05, 08:38 AM   #6
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Any strange lights / conditions on clocks ?
I would guess the speedo was reading normally but the tacho was zero.
I wouldn't expect any other lights on though.

You might want to check sidestand cutout - is the sidestand held securely, and is the switch operating correctly ? Apart from that, I'd look for chafed / frayed wiring
Sorry forgot to metion that - nothing else 'seemed' strange. The taco, strangely enough kept reading. I did a chack after to see how long it takes to return to 0 after I let go of the throttle in neutral and I think when the engine died the taco dropped in line with the engine speed, not with the as though it was suddenly getting no input.

I'll give the side stand a check at lunch and post back on it - but I think it's secure.

Stu
Old 09-11-05, 08:43 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Apart from that, I'd look for chafed / frayed wiring
Seeing as you've got the Classic shaped one, have you checked the rear subframe part of the loom ? lift it away from the bike as it is known to ware through on the inside. this can lead to some very strange things happening

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 01:09 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Ditto the above.

And:

Check the filler well drain isn't blocked and you haven't got water in the tank again, it's not the filler leaking that gets water in the tank, water lies in the filler well and when you open it it drops into the tank, it rarely looks like there's water 'rounf the filler as it's all dropped into your fuel...
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-05, 02:13 PM   #9
SteveR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK
Sorry forgot to metion that - nothing else 'seemed' strange. The taco, strangely enough kept reading. I did a chack after to see how long it takes to return to 0 after I let go of the throttle in neutral and I think when the engine died the taco dropped in line with the engine speed, not with the as though it was suddenly getting no input.

I'll give the side stand a check at lunch and post back on it - but I think it's secure.

Stu
If your tacho was still showing revs, then I think we can discount ignition problems - and the sidestand switch. That leaves fuelling as the main suspect. Check not only fuel lines, but also the vacuum line to the fuel supply 'switch'
Old 09-11-05, 02:44 PM   #10
MavUK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK

Stu
If your tacho was still showing revs, then I think we can discount ignition problems - and the sidestand switch. That leaves fuelling as the main suspect. Check not only fuel lines, but also the vacuum line to the fuel supply 'switch'
OK - was my thinking...

If my scotoiler is working does that mean I can discount the vacumn line to the fuel switch - as it's hooked into this.

Stu