SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-07, 08:41 AM   #1
plowsie

Default Bulb Upgrade(or replacement)

So turn up to the meet last Wednesday and Luckypants informs me that one of my headlights is off I thought summit was up because it kept flickering on late after turning off full beams, but didnt think it was the bulb.

Mike told me to get uprated Phillips bulbs off net from powerbulbs. Woulda got them but due to postal strikes etc i thought better of it(they prob wouldnt have sent it via royal mail i know) and the fact i ride 5 miles every night at 2 in the morning usually i decided it was best to get it done quick.

HG £8.99 each Phillips, same sorta thing as Mike recommended, but theyre Orange

By god do you notice how sh1te the standard bulbs are. Bit of a weird one getting them in and out but once ya know how its blummin easy Happily come and help people fit them if they need it doing. All it is, turn bars to right if your going at left one(vice versa), hand over top of yoke, under dash, get to wiring connector, pull that out, remove dust cover, pull the paper clip spring like thing towars the tank from the top of it and pull ya bulb out. New ones in so that the connector will line back up as before, make sure the paper clip thingy is out all way or it make's things difficult, and then do the process to removing but reversed. That was on a 99 curvey S. Might be different on P****ys or Nekkids.
Old 08-10-07, 09:28 AM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bulb Upgrade(or replacement)

I REALLY need to do this........I was following a VFR home on saturday night down a stretch of road with no lights.

It became apparent how crap my headlight were when the vfr went around a tight corner ahead leaving me in darkness wondering where the hell the corner was.

The headlights must have been lighting up maybe 7 - 8 cat eyes. DANGEROUS lol

Do upgraded bulbs from the likes of halfords fit in bikes?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 09:30 AM   #3
plowsie

All you need to know is H4 bulbs. The ones Luckypants recommended are actually car bulbs, i never looked in Halfords but maybe u might be able to get some. I'll try and get hold off the site off Mike to stick on here.
Old 08-10-07, 09:34 AM   #4
plowsie

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=43
Old 08-10-07, 09:47 AM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Greame, you got a pointy so best check what type bulbs you need. not sure if they are H4 in a pointy.

Them philips extreme are awesome and you WILL see a big improvement.

I know what you mean about VFR lights though, do not feel the need to upgrade the bulbs in my bike. Main beam is awesome. Will fit the better bulbs when these blow.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 01:30 PM   #6
Jimmie

I have been using a Piaa H4 like the one here. By far the best bulb I have ever used. I ride nights here in the Northern California Mtns and we have a lot of 4 legged critters about and I need to see them in advance so I can dodge them. This is the best, and I have tried many different types. Spend the money you won't be sorry. H4 is used in all SV's, S models and nakeds all years.
http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-41...4-fcb9ca457e70

Last edited by Jimmie; 08-10-07 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 01:43 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
I have been using a Piaa H4 like the one here. By far the best bulb I have ever used. I ride nights here in the Northern California Mtns and we have a lot of 4 legged critters about and I need to see them in advance so I can dodge them. This is the best, and I have tried many different types. Spend the money you won't be sorry. H4 is used in all SV's, S models and nakeds all years.
http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-41...4-fcb9ca457e70
apart from EURO models which have H7 high beam, H4 low beam.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 01:49 PM   #8
Jimmie

Really! Not here in the states. Bummer... Piaa makes them in H7 also. But H4 is Hi/Lo???

Last edited by Jimmie; 08-10-07 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 04:08 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, some continental euro bikes have one projector headlight for reasons unknown...

Some people say that bike bulbs are designed to be more resistant to vibrations, and that car bulbs won't last as long... But my silverstars are just standard issue and they're 25000 or so miles and 4 crashes old so I'm not exactly convinced on that one.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 06:04 PM   #10
maff

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post

Do upgraded bulbs from the likes of halfords fit in bikes?
yes. i bought halfords laser blue blubs

really good and match the girly baby blue colour of the bike