SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-12-09, 08:40 AM   #1
Son of a beesting

Default Whats it worth - SV650s Fully Faired

Hi

As some of you are aware I as involved in a minor off about a month ago where a cyclist jumped the lights in front of me causing me to go down.

Anyway long story short I claimed on her home insurance and got all new front fairings (nose cone, lowers) and a new exhaust as well as R&G crash bungs, levers, bar ends etc. When it was getting worked on I had the 15000 mile service which is passed with flying colours.

So as the bike is looking great at the moment I was wondering if now would be a good time to get rid of it. So its a 2007 fully faired in Black. 15800 miles with Full Suzuki Service History. It has a brand new Yoshimura exhaust (road legal version). Its standard and comes with complete factory workshop guide as well original receipts etc.

I have spoken to Suzuki about a trade in and wondered what I could expect for a private sale.

Thanks
Old 09-12-09, 08:45 AM   #2
LK-SV

Default Re: Whats it worth - SV650s Fully Faired

Well .... certainly worth more on here, than as a trade in .....

I expect the garage said about £2100 ... and you might get £2400 on here as a rough guide .... prices have fallen recently sadly !!

Don't go spending fortunes on a new bike just because it looks spanking though .... only if you were planning on selling anyway ....

If you stick it on the trader ... give it a few small scratches .... so it does look too good (and hence a damaged repaired) We all know now !!!
Old 09-12-09, 08:54 AM   #3
Son of a beesting

Thanks. That was about the figure Suzuki mentioned to me.

I am always getting itchy feet and fancy a change. I spend everyday on the motorway/A roads into london so maybe it was a waste of money to change just because I can. I do about 12000 miles a year just in commute.

the reason I mentioned it was cause I have already amde a post about the accident when it first happened so all people had ot do was look back over my posting history. I dont want to be seen to be trying to hide something. It was only a 5mph drop so nothing major and its been given the A-ok from Suzuki.
Old 09-12-09, 12:32 PM   #4
Son of a beesting

Anymore ideas?

I think I might get a bit of a hack just to commute on as this bike seems to nice to use for the daily grind.
Old 09-12-09, 12:37 PM   #5
LK-SV

I bought the SV as a daily hack, as its reliable, and NOT too nice ....

I can't see you being about to downsize enough (cash in hand) to outweigh the compromises ....

IMO - stick with the SV and enjoy it ....
Old 09-12-09, 12:44 PM   #6
Son of a beesting

I see where you are coming from and you maybe right. But I think if I sell and get something cheaper/care about less and still come out with about £1000 I would be happy.

It cost over £2000 to repair the damage this woman did and it could have very easily been me that had to end up paying that cost. If I get something like a cb500 there are no fairing etc to worry about. It will also cost peanuts to insure (I got quoted £60 for a year) which is a massive saving in itself.

I spend most of the time on it in traffic so power etc means little.
Old 09-12-09, 12:46 PM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a beesting View Post
I spend most of the time on it in traffic so power etc means little.
well there's a very cheap SR250 going for a song in another thread...
Old 09-12-09, 12:47 PM   #8
Son of a beesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
well there's a very cheap SR250 going for a song in another thread...
I also do some motorway time so would like at least 45bhp

Thanks though!
Old 09-12-09, 03:45 PM   #9
jamesterror

gs500? Can pick them up relatively cheap..
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 03:47 PM   #10
LK-SV

Depends I suppose, how important the £1000 is to you at this second .... and how much you are worried about binning the bike again .....

I looked at cheaper bikes, and decided the SV was worth the extra (by a long way - a little goes a long way on a bike)

I looked at more expensive options, and decided I'd get too attached, and be scared to leave it anywhere ....

I concluded that spending £2400 on an SV was the perfect balance all round of being decent, but not too decent .....