SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-12-23, 07:25 PM   #6331
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Thanks both - no back discomfort during or after the ride, which was nice. Luckily the Gen 3 riding position is quite upright and I do engage my core, which helps.

Also, if ever you think your bike's a little slow and you might need an upgrade, have a few weeks off it then go out and give it some berries, you'll be amazed at just how quick it really is!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-23, 08:12 PM   #6332
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I have to say that I'm often surprised by just how quick my curvy is, even though I ride it a lot. Down a cog out of top for an overtake is always a reminder that, for a 23 year old, budget bike, it really is no slouch.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-23, 10:21 PM   #6333
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Thanks both - no back discomfort during or after the ride, which was nice. Luckily the Gen 3 riding position is quite upright and I do engage my core, which helps.

Also, if ever you think your bike's a little slow and you might need an upgrade, have a few weeks off it then go out and give it some berries, you'll be amazed at just how quick it really is!
My friend in London has a back issue and wears a body belt when riding. Have you tried that?

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 17-12-23, 04:13 PM   #6334
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
My friend in London has a back issue and wears a body belt when riding. Have you tried that?
I'll see how it goes, riding doesn't seem to aggravate things at this point but it could be worth a try!
Old 17-12-23, 05:36 PM   #6335
redtrummy

The problem in using supports is that by their very nature they can further weaken muscle tone. In my 20s I had a major sciatic issue which lead me having 6 months off work, and it was about another 6 months after returning before I became pain free. (Lucky to keep my job, at one point, I had the medical retirements in my hand at one point). I was lucky enough to find a very good Chiropractor that sorted me out then, and kept me going over the years until he and I retired, he advisied me not to use any external lower back support . I have had a couple of uncomfortable episodes since, the first, the new Chiropractor I tried was not half as good, but the last flare up I did manage to sort myself via Ytube videos!.

If you can ride, and be comfortable at the end of the ride, then my unqualified advice would be carry on as you are.
I find sitting a lot in one session is one of the worst things I can do. Plane/coach journeys are really problematic, usually resulting in a stiff back for a couple of days at least , but back problems are very personable, what is a total no no for one, can be a solution to another.

Last edited by redtrummy; 17-12-23 at 06:16 PM.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-23, 05:47 PM   #6336
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Redundant post!

Last edited by garynortheast; 18-12-23 at 02:24 PM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-23, 10:18 AM   #6337
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
In my 20s I had a major sciatic issue which lead me having 6 months off work
Very interesting, thanks! My problem is sciatic too (a problem with my L3 vertebra, which is right where the sciatic nerves emerge from the spine).
Old 18-12-23, 12:02 PM   #6338
redtrummy

Back then Craig I was really concerned that fusion was on the cards, being youngish I had been informed that the downside was that it could cause overloading of the adjacent discs so I had a could result. Whilst at school I worked at Wilkos on a Saturday carrying bags of ready mix concrete, I did a paper round delivering 100 papers and helped my Dad build his bungalow. I was only 9 stone and I am convinced that that was the route cause of my problems. I have had L3-4 play up, L5 -6 and more recently the sacroiliac joint.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-24, 11:04 AM   #6339
Seeker
Mega Poster

I know the Horizon/Fujitsu/Post Office debacle is not a joke, but we're Brits and we poke fun at everything. Rosie Holt putting the blame elsewhere...

https://twitter.com/RosieisaHolt/sta...11394405044569

(her commentary was pasted over the actual interview with Mel Stride MP, Work and Pensions) - which wasn't nearly as funny.
Old 10-01-24, 12:23 PM   #6340
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I know the Horizon/Fujitsu/Post Office debacle is not a joke, but we're Brits and we poke fun at everything. Rosie Holt putting the blame elsewhere...

https://twitter.com/RosieisaHolt/sta...11394405044569

(her commentary was pasted over the actual interview with Mel Stride MP, Work and Pensions) - which wasn't nearly as funny.
I saw that that too. I bet a few people took it seriously

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk