SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-12-14, 12:12 PM   #1
Amadeus

Default Good quality objects

My wife and I are buying things for our house and would generally prefer to spend more on a good quality item rather than something that will need replacing in a year or so. Ideally made by some kind of craftsman.

For example, we could have got a fireside companion set for a few tens of pounds but they were incredibly flimsy. We went to a blacksmiths who made us one - much more expensive but really solid, really well made and would do some serious damage to Burglar Bill.
I've just ordered some handmade kitchen scissors.

Does anyone have any recommendations or manufacturers or craftsmen who produce high quality goods that will last for many years?

I know it's a bit vague but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

thanks
Old 08-12-14, 12:23 PM   #2
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Good quality objects

I can recommend a man who makes hand made cricket bats from the finest East Anglian willow - if you are preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse this could be very useful.

I also had my TV unit built to order by a company so that it could contain a largish TV and our turntable, with room below for the separates and vinyl in 2 cupboards. It's lovely solid wood and very sturdy, and didn't actually cost any more than something rubbish from Next Home or Ikea. Plus it was delivered ready constructed, no unfathomable instructions like you get with flat pack.

Of course I can't remember the name of the company now but I'll have a look at home and see if I can find their details on a receipt.
Old 08-12-14, 12:27 PM   #3
Amadeus

Thanks LPH. I bought a solid TV stand but I'm actually looking for something to store garden bits (cushions), so this company might be able to do that sort of thing.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-14, 12:48 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Calling Wideboy

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 01:16 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Still got my grandmother's Prestige potato masher, slotted spoon & ladle. Must be over 40 years old

All good quality stuff, spend a little more, to get stuff that lasts.

But these days its made to a price, not to quality
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 01:22 PM   #6
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

You'll be lucky if there is even a brand to go for that will give years of service like that anymore...it can still be more economical to purchase cheap and often for some things...unless you're getting proper hand crafted or a life time warranty

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 02:22 PM   #7
Amadeus

Yeah, this is part of my problem- finding good quality where money isn't the overriding factor.

I was looking for a Chesterfield sofa and found a company who made very high quality sofas in traditional methods but they were more than I wanted to spend (ie more than I have to spend!).
Old 08-12-14, 04:30 PM   #8
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I'm still using the transistor radio I bought for my Nan in 1993 (a small Sony) and that I got back after she died in 1999. It has a LW setting for Test Match Special which she always listened to - and now in summer I often have that on rather than the Sky commentary. I do have a DAB in the kitchen but the signal is so poor I can only get a couple of stations.

I also still use all the pudding basins she had and a little gadget that minces up herbs like the mint for mint sauce.

And the very old barometer I inherited from her is far more reliable than any of these new fangled weather apps.
Old 08-12-14, 04:42 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

I've also still got my Nan's Kenwood hand mixer, that too must 40 years old

I still curse the day that my wife got rid of my Prestige 'Lifetime' cookware, I can't remember why. That was quality stuff too.

We've got a cast iron milk pan, which is like Le Creuset stuff, which was bought nearly 20 years ago.

I've lost count of all the cheap pots & pans we've got through.

I did buy a stainless steel frying pan, from Lidl, which is well made. It'll last well, because it doesn't have a non stick coating. Plus I got some stainless steel roasting tins from TK Max, they're great, clean up well & are dishwasher safe.

** Just remembered I've got a Le Creuset cast iron griddle pan, I can't see that wearing out.

*** Also remembered I bought some super quality German made kitchen knives, proper case & all. Much better than the cheapo Sabatier set I got from Argos

Last edited by maviczap; 08-12-14 at 04:54 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 05:12 PM   #10
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

9 posts in and this thread bas already turned into the;

"Things were built better in my day thread"

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote