SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-11-07, 12:35 PM   #1
Kinvig

Default bike maintenance

I need to get a better understanding of bikes.

Are there any part time courses out there that anyone knows of?

Looking at the hot courses web site there's nothing that is starting now/relevent.

I don't to learn how to strip & replace a gear box, but have a better understanding of stuff like:

removing/replacing the rear wheel
puncture repair
changing brake pads
chain/sprockets
clutch issues
draining the engine if you get it flooded

The sort of stuff I would need to troubleshoot/fix myself if I found myself in the back of beyond with no help.

Failing a mechanic's course - would anyone have some spare time i.e. weekends to take me through this sort of stuff? There's beer in it!

Dirk
Old 19-11-07, 01:45 PM   #2
ASM-Forever

Default Re: bike maintenance

Check all your local colleges/polytechnics....there are bound to be a few courses going on, however they are often of varying standards!

Whilst i don't profess to being particularly capable, i have always found the easiest way to pick stuff up, is to watch/have a go with a mate who is capable.
Old 19-11-07, 02:43 PM   #3
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
Check all your local colleges/polytechnics....there are bound to be a few courses going on, however they are often of varying standards!

Whilst i don't profess to being particularly capable, i have always found the easiest way to pick stuff up, is to watch/have a go with a mate who is capable.
Yup, I agree about the capable mate! Unfortunately all mine have sold their bikes & no longer ride!

I fired off an email to Hackney college as they ran 10 courses over the course of the year but they and the other places on Hot Courses started year long courses back in Sept/Oct.
Old 19-11-07, 04:41 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

I think I'm gonna invest some time and rope my dad into teaching me stuff. I know stuff, but I'm not confident or anything.

I also need to learn how to re-thread stuff, like when i strip threads

Matt
Old 20-11-07, 11:15 AM   #5
phil24_7
Mega Poster

the easy way Matt is to be more careful and don't strip threads!!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-07, 11:35 AM   #6
tomjones2

I knew nothing a few years ago and would back my self to do any job now apart from rebuilding the bottom end/gearbox. Get yourself some semi decent tools and a torque wrench, download the factory service manual and get going. An abba stand isnt a bad investment either.

If you get stuck dont be afraid to go to a garage, they dont laugh and IME have always been very willing to help, for instance the last 2 front sprokets I have changed needed to go to the garage to get an impact wrench to shift them, be polite slip them a £5 and everyone is happy

One important thing is have you got a garage to work in, makes a big diffrence, and access to a second vechile is also very useful if a job is taking longer than expected.

Take your time, be carefull and accept that you will probaly break things as well.

Good luck
Old 20-11-07, 12:09 PM   #7
Fizzy Fish

Merton College do a good evening class, though I agree with the idea that it's often better to learn off a knowledgeable friend - more tailored to you and your bike.

BTW this topic has come up a few times before - have you tried a search?
Old 20-11-07, 12:12 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2 View Post
One important thing is have you got a garage to work in, makes a big diffrence, and access to a second vechile is also very useful if a job is taking longer than expected.
+1 and +1

My garage is part of the house, and the tumble dryer lives there, its lovely and warm!
Old 20-11-07, 03:28 PM   #9
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Afternoon all.

Often the courses available at such places as Merton are usually for people who are intending to be full time mechanics. Courses for beginners to learn the basics are few & far between.

Some years ago I taught a vocational course in basic maintenance at Twickenham adult education centre. It was well subscribed & very well received, all my students felt that they had learned something, & they had all gained confidence in their ability.
I was unable to do it for a second year due to work commitments, & the course was dropped. I don't know if it's started again. It could be worth enquiring.

Cheers.
Old 26-11-07, 09:44 AM   #10
Kinvig

FYI: Jsut booked this:

http://www.floodlight.co.uk/courses-...se-details.htm#

Starts in Jan for 10 weeks.

10 places on the course & there are 7 spaces left.

£126 - the price of a service! Bargain.