SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-21, 11:43 AM   #5081
Grant66

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

My smile is building work has started on the extension.
Old garage and conservatory flattened.

I'll soon have a lovely warm garage to potter in. Apparently Mrs is excited about a new kitchen, which I'm only vaguely interested in as the garage rear exit opens into it.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 04:06 PM   #5082
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

We're doing some work on our kitchen in the near future hopefully.... hmm, this has given me some ideas.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 04:08 PM   #5083
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Just "paid" £0 tax on a car that we had delivered this morning. Mixed SOTD as there are things I'm a bit unimpressed with as far as the dealer goes. Still, we are mobile as a family again.
Old 13-02-21, 04:16 PM   #5084
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I had to stopo myself from saying before but that is exactly my experience with BG. I paid for homecover with them on an older boiler, when it broke 9 engineers turned up couldn't or wouldn't diagnose it and a few tried to condemn it instead for reasons ranging from 2cm too close to a window (which wasn't the reg at time of installation), insufficient water flow rate (it had worked for 12 years prior), pressure release valve dangerous (it pointed at a pitched roof and ran into a rw down pipe, IF a burglar was scaling my roof at the time of me over filling the boiler I could have been sued ), and then more plausible reasons like chipset failure. I ended up replacing the solenoids myself for about £5 and it worked for another 7 years (possibly still going now).

Oops I'm bordering on gripe territory. Smile is I have a new boiler with 10 year warranty from a reputable local firm now and it's warm quiet and shiny.
Most modern 'service' techs just can't be bothered ( or are not skilled enough to ) to diagnose down to component level, they would rather replace big, expensive, high profit lumps ( preferably ones that are not covered by your service contract ) - and what is more expensive and high profit than a complete boiler ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 04:48 PM   #5085
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Just "paid" £0 tax on a car that we had delivered this morning. Mixed SOTD as there are things I'm a bit unimpressed with as far as the dealer goes. Still, we are mobile as a family again.
What did you get in the end?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 13-02-21, 05:49 PM   #5086
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Civic Tourer diesel. It's allowed into the forthcoming clean air zone in Bristol as it's Euro 6. But not allowed into the diesel zone, which the dirtier petrol version is. The diesel also gets double the mpg compared to the petrol and pulls without revving the engine to the redline.
Old 13-02-21, 06:43 PM   #5087
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Civic Tourer diesel. It's allowed into the forthcoming clean air zone in Bristol as it's Euro 6. But not allowed into the diesel zone, which the dirtier petrol version is. The diesel also gets double the mpg compared to the petrol and pulls without revving the engine to the redline.
Diesels always been much higher in NOx and particles than petrol, which is why London allows euro 4 petrol in, Nox is really unhealthy, and diesel vehicles rely greatly on regular servicing to maintain emissions, where petrol stay clean even without servicing.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 13-02-21, 07:57 PM   #5088
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Diesels always been much higher in NOx and particles than petrol, which is why London allows euro 4 petrol in, Nox is really unhealthy, and diesel vehicles rely greatly on regular servicing to maintain emissions, where petrol stay clean even without servicing.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, we'd have gone electric if it was realistic and affordable, or hybrid if the actual mpg, extra cost of vehicle (because hybrid) and hype followed through, or petrol if we were allowed to continue to be able to get to work in it in the forthcoming Bristol clean air zone. After all the research and decision making we've ended up having to get a diesel again as it's (remotely) affordable to buy (as far as cars can be.. we can never really afford one, we just sacrifice any chance of holidays etc), ok costs to run and we're allowed to use it in a city that's setting up an illogical system in the coming year or two. Various factors essentially made the decision for us. I didn't want another diesel but the alternatives didn't add up.

For what it's worth I commute my 20 miles mostly either cycling or on a motorbike. Sometimes in my very cheap old van if it's dangerously cold and icy or I need to carry a van load of stuff like tools. A lot of the time the nasty diesel vehicles in our family sit unused on the drive. Especially over the last year.
Old 14-02-21, 06:37 PM   #5089
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The new sofa and armchair we ordered four months ago has been delivered. There is a delightful smell of leather now as you enter the drawing room in Trev Towers and my recliner is jolly cosy and very comfy. Let's hope they last the same 20+ years as the old ones.
Old 14-02-21, 08:25 PM   #5090
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, we'd have gone electric if it was realistic and affordable, or hybrid if the actual mpg, extra cost of vehicle (because hybrid) and hype followed through, or petrol if we were allowed to continue to be able to get to work in it in the forthcoming Bristol clean air zone. After all the research and decision making we've ended up having to get a diesel again as it's (remotely) affordable to buy (as far as cars can be.. we can never really afford one, we just sacrifice any chance of holidays etc), ok costs to run and we're allowed to use it in a city that's setting up an illogical system in the coming year or two. Various factors essentially made the decision for us. I didn't want another diesel but the alternatives didn't add up.

For what it's worth I commute my 20 miles mostly either cycling or on a motorbike. Sometimes in my very cheap old van if it's dangerously cold and icy or I need to carry a van load of stuff like tools. A lot of the time the nasty diesel vehicles in our family sit unused on the drive. Especially over the last year.
Wasn't having a go, it is the fault of government that diesels were idolized simply because hey were concentrating solely on CO2, and ignored everything else. Turned out that with Germans fiddling the figures they fooled governments and buyers, but the yanks not so easily fooled.