SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-09, 11:48 AM   #1
Magnum

Default Riding other peoples bikes?

Whats the law regarding riding other peoples bikes?
Such as a test ride, or borrowing it for a quick try out?
Obviously riding in accordance to your own licence, on an insured vehicle with tax etc.
Old 18-03-09, 11:51 AM   #2
The Guru

Default Re: Riding other peoples bikes?

As long as your insured
Old 18-03-09, 11:52 AM   #3
Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
As long as your insured

Would i have to set up insurance with the owners insurance company to be able to ride it?
Old 18-03-09, 11:58 AM   #4
pencil shavings

mine gives me 3rd party cover on any bike I DONT OWN. you might well have that cover already. if you cant see it on your policy, give them a call, you might even get it for free
Old 18-03-09, 11:59 AM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Would i have to set up insurance with the owners insurance company to be able to ride it?
You need to be very sure you are covered. There are a few companies out there who offer very cheap insurance. Bennetts being one of them. The clause is they do not insure you to ride any other bike.

If your policy covers you for other motorcycles it will normally be third party only. You will only be covered by your insurance if the bike you are wishing to ride is legally on the road. Tax, MOT (if required) and insured.
Old 18-03-09, 12:00 PM   #6
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
mine gives me 3rd party cover on any bike I DONT OWN.

Ditto for me. plus of course there is the you bend it, you mend it rule to remember as well
Old 18-03-09, 12:03 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

If you go for a test ride with a comapny, you 99% of the time have to sign a form, this is thier insurance, and you saying that in the event of an off during the ride, youa re liable for the excess (usually around a grand).

What Ape says is right. I have cheap insurance, but i can ride any other bike on a third party only basis. However, soething that i learnt recently (now that verna works in insurance) is that say numpty jumps on your bike and crashes into, say someones wall, then your insurance will actaully pay the 3rd party for the damage even though it wasnt you riding it! Your bike/car however is down to you!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-09, 12:03 PM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

My certificate of insurance says :-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Certificate

5. Persons or classes of person entitled to drive
blah blah
The policy holder
Under the terms of section ii of the policy - Liability to Third Parties. the policyholder may subject to the owners express consent also drive a Motorcycle not belonging to the Policyholder and not hired to the Policyholder under a hire purchase or lease agreement.

I take this to specifically state that I may ride others bikes under a U bend it U mend it agreement. Unless policies specifically state you are covered, do not assume it.
Old 18-03-09, 12:06 PM   #9
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
My certificate of insurance says :-

I take this to specifically state that I may ride others bikes under a U bend it U mend it agreement. Unless policies specifically state you are covered, do not assume it.
It does. But it also states only if that bike has not been hired by the person you are borrowing if from. So if your mate takes out a bike for a test ride, or it is a loan bike, your insurance would not cover you riding it.
Old 18-03-09, 12:10 PM   #10
dunc1999

I was insured with E-bike last year and they defo do not cover you 3rd party when riding other bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!