SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 30-05-12, 06:53 PM   #1
nobby

Default SV Puncture repair?

At the weekend I got a small screw in the centre of the rear tyre of my curvy. Ive taken the wheel in and its repaired. .

Having read Z rated tyres cannot be repaired I was surprised it was done. What do you guys think, should I bin it for safety’s sake?

Last edited by nobby; 30-05-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 30-05-12, 07:32 PM   #2
Spank86

Default Re: SV Puncture repair?

My local tyre place repair michelins but no other tyres.

If they've got mileage left and they say you can do it, I say do it, not worth it if they're fairly worn though
Old 30-05-12, 08:06 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

We found out this just last week, there was much debate and digging up of even older threads

Jeez, you would think that some people have those "life" things and better things to do than read every post AND remember what they saw on here...

Heh-Heh

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-12, 10:04 PM   #4
StewartR

Bite the bullet I say, and replace the tyre. I was in on the natter the other day that SoulKiss linked to. My mate got his DL tyre repaired and it failed a few days later. It was all good, no blowout - just a massive waste of a good riding day. The worrying thing was getting to inspect the tyre after it failed. The area where the puncture was, dead in the middle of the tread, was noticably weaker that any other part of the tyre. Felt like the carcass was MUCH thinner there. Put me off repairs for life it has.
Old 01-06-12, 10:58 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

You can't win.

If a tyre dealer fails to repair any puncture, without question or inspection. It's because he's a crook, and trying to scam you out of your hard earned.

If he does repair it and it doesn't fail it's the very least he could have done

If he repairs it and it doesn't hold, it's because it's unsafe to repair tyres, and people shouldn't be messed about of put at risk by people trying to repair something that's weak.

I give up.

Take your tyres to a reputable tyre dealer who you trust to give honest advice. Talk to them about their policy on repairing tyres, and why they hold those views. Then trust them to assess these things, as they've seen a million more tyres than you ever will.
Just this very morning I was at Essential Rubber in London, where Mick repaired the puncture I picked up last week without any fuss, as he has done on several occasions before. He also commented that I could have done a better job of patching it in the first place, and demonstrated on a spare old tyre. Around this time someone turned up to have their tyres checked over, as they weren't sure if the condition was OK. Mick looked over them, and said they would be OK, but told the owner that if they changed from where they were (and he was very specific about what was and was not OK) that they would need to be brought back in. Neither of us would have quibbled if he'd wanted to sell us new tyres.

Jambo
Old 22-06-12, 05:13 PM   #6
Spoonie

My experience on it would be the guy from the garage that I usually use. Rapid Rubber in Manchester if anyone is interested.

He looked at the tyre and said he could repair it if I wanted, but I'd ride it on my own conscience. He gave me the option of new or repaired and said he couldn't guarantee my safety on that tyre if repaired.

I went with the new tyre, simple as that. But was happy that he explained the risks.