SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-03-06, 01:47 PM   #1
Diveboy

Default Transfering money into a German Bank account. Help Needed.

Does anyone know what the cheapest, easiest and most secure way of transferring money from my current account (or Switch card) to an account in Germany? They also have an account in Holland if that's any easier.

I rang my bank and they want £21 to do it which I feel is a right ripoff as I only need to transfer £79.
Old 11-03-06, 02:15 PM   #2
mysteryjimbo

Ask some of the characters on ebay?
Old 11-03-06, 05:13 PM   #3
jonboy

Paypal?

Old 11-03-06, 05:14 PM   #4
GregK2

just had a look at westernunion.co.uk & they quote £14 for the amount you mentioned.

not a recommendation, never used them before.
Old 11-03-06, 07:32 PM   #5
Diveboy

I used westernunion once when some guy did me for £500 on ebay. Never use it unless your 100% sure its ok it's totally untraceable. All they will do is tell you where and when the money was collected.
Old 11-03-06, 08:16 PM   #6
Demonz

Is it a small or large amount? If large I suggest FX payments - part of Travelex.co.uk. Their exhange rates are always great. If small amounts - paypal as banks for £20 is about average.
Old 11-03-06, 08:19 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I'd see if Paypal's an option... Or alternatively, see if your bank will draw you a cheque in a foreign currency. Any real bank ought to. Then again, any real bank ought to not try and charge you twenty one quid to send a payment- unless you're sending tens of thousands, that's roughly twice the market average.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 09:41 PM   #8
Diveboy

Its for £79 or €114. The bank want £21 for electronic or £10 to write a cheque. TBH I'm a little gobsmacked. When I agreed I thought it would be the same as transferring money to my mate which I do all the time. You know this being Europe and all that.

I have emailed them and asked if they will accept any other payment. Only other option i asking at work on Monday as well sell and buy goods from Germany.

I could drive to bloody Germany and get cash out on my card ffs!
Old 11-03-06, 10:09 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Most of the countries in the European Economic Zone have incompatible systems unfortunately. But they're still taking the mick.

There's a UK EuroBACS system on its way, but it's miles off yet. 3 years is the official date, IIRC, but frankly there's no chance in hell The last UK-only BACS change just finished, 2 years late and abut 25 million over budget.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 10:17 PM   #10
RandyO

I have people from Nigera asking me to help them transfer funds all the time, I haven't done it yet, but I might consider letting you transfer your funds to my account even though I wouldn't do it for a Nigerian