SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-11-08, 09:54 AM   #1
wow

Default crash protection on a naked SV

I wonder if you could give me any help with crash protection on the SV (naked). Where do these things go? is there just one place or more than one (front and back?). And most importantly what parts do they protect in case the bike falls over? Anyone any experience and/or crash protection on their naked SV?
Old 19-11-08, 10:02 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: crash protection on a naked SV

The main type of crash protection is 'crash bungs' - big lumps of plastic bolted to the frame, that stick out so that they are the first thing to hit the floor. They are designed to protect the major items on your bike like the frame, engine, tank etc. The yanks call them frame sliders.

There are two makes which seem to be popular, R&G and Motosliders. Motosliders get my vote, imo stronger than R&G and a longer plastic bit.

You can also fit plastic sliders as paddock stand bobbins, bar ends and on the front wheel spindle/axle to assist the primary crash bung. To get maximum protection, it is said that three 'sliding points' are needed, so none (or at least very little) of your bike slides on the road.

Remember that whatever you do to protect your bike in a crash, it only limits the damage. You cannot protect it from impacts (hitting cars / kerbs etc) only the effects of sliding down the road. You will still probably lose one or two levers in an off.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-08, 10:06 AM   #3
Dangerous Dave

For naked I would recommend Motosliders, they are by far the best crash bungs on the market for the SV650.

As added protection you could get some crash bars, they are like a cage around the lower half of the engine and help protect the casings.

Bar and an bobbin sliders are also a good method of protection, they stop the bike from digging into the tarmac allowing it to slide rather than tumble down the road....

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 19-11-08 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Pictures Added
Old 19-11-08, 02:28 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yup, also some motocross handguards to protect the levers. And when inevitable does happen then DONT replace the bent bars (they will be) with standard ones! Fit some renthals, same dimensions but made of metal thicker than 2 fag papers.

Oh and find out if davie SV has any more fixer pegs, ace inventions.

Motosliders do a package deal on their frame and swingarm sliders, both of which are very effective.

Last edited by yorkie_chris; 19-11-08 at 02:31 PM.
yorkie_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-08, 02:36 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

YC's part of the package I got last week from motosliders was a set of engine sliders ,they came to 83 dollars inc p+p, which is about 54 quid.
2 sets of swingarm bobbins and a spare enigne bung came to about 70 odd inc p+p, Spare bungs are 18 quid

actually I fib, the package came from SVRacing parts...which were all motosliders products

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-08, 02:39 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

P.s I know quite a bit about crashing naked SV's ... I'm not making it up lol
Old 19-11-08, 03:45 PM   #7
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
YC's part of the package I got last week from motosliders was a set of engine sliders ,they came to 83 dollars inc p+p, which is about 54 quid.
2 sets of swingarm bobbins and a spare enigne bung came to about 70 odd inc p+p, Spare bungs are 18 quid

actually I fib, the package came from SVRacing parts...which were all motosliders products
Thanks for this but it's not a naked SV so it's different.
Old 19-11-08, 03:46 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

No dear it's not. The naked and faired SV share the same engine and frame, the sliders she is reffering to were for my naked SV and went on last night just fine.
Old 19-11-08, 03:49 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
Thanks for this but it's not a naked SV so it's different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
I wonder if you could give me any help with crash protection on the SV (naked).
Whether faired, naked, pointy or curvy the same Motoslider frame and swingarm protectors will fit.
Old 19-11-08, 04:04 PM   #10
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
For naked I would recommend Motosliders, they are by far the best crash bungs on the market for the SV650.

As added protection you could get some crash bars, they are like a cage around the lower half of the engine and help protect the casings.

Bar and an bobbin sliders are also a good method of protection, they stop the bike from digging into the tarmac allowing it to slide rather than tumble down the road....

Thanks for the pictures of the bars. I would like to find out what the bobbins look like and where they go. But you probably won't have those from what I can see.