SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-01-11, 11:20 PM   #1
thulfi

Default Proximity wingsuit flying

It is my new aim in life to save enough money to complete enough parachute jumps, go to California and start to learn proximity wingsuit flying.

For those who've never seen it/don't know about it, you jump off a plane/mountain wearing a suit designed with wings to help you glide, and control your glide at very high speeds. You can get as close to things as you dare.

Then, you open your chute at the right time and land. I first saw this on Channel4's new programme Dardevils (still on 4od I think [also check out the human spider - guy who climbs skyscrapers with no harness at all]) and been looking into it ever since.

Here's a clip thought I'd share

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Looks insane, and darned dangerous. If you watch the channel4 programme, you'll watch about a guy who wingsuited over a bridge, except misjudged it and splattered/died all over one of the bridges main bars. Must be a rush and a half though.

Last edited by thulfi; 18-01-11 at 11:33 PM.
Old 18-01-11, 11:27 PM   #2
Smudge

Default Re: Proximity wingsuit flying

Be better with a couple of jets so you could fly straight up!
Old 18-01-11, 11:34 PM   #3
robbie09

whats with the surprise butt sechs between the yellow and red ranger ? !

Smudge a guy who called himself jetman i think has already made a wing with two model jet engines that allow him to fly level for a while Problem with all of that is carrying enough fuel to supply enough thrust to supply enough speed to supply enough lift!

Sky diving in general i think would give you the rush your looking for!! I really want to give it a go !!
Old 18-01-11, 11:37 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

That looks so amazing. Can't imagine how that must feel to fly over landscapes like that. I'd love to try that
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-11, 11:58 PM   #5
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie09 View Post
Problem with all of that is carrying enough fuel to supply enough thrust to supply enough speed to supply enough lift!
Exactly. 'Gliding' at 170mph is still flying at an insane speed. If you can design an item to make the most use of gravity, why use fuel and a jet pack?
Old 19-01-11, 12:16 AM   #6
Smudge

I started with static line in Aldershot then moved on to freefall up at Topcliffe near Thirsk it was awesome I also did a HALO high alt jump in Bavaria.
I'm too fat nowadays especially for a wing suit.

Last edited by Smudge; 19-01-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 19-01-11, 12:46 AM   #7
Drumming_Animal

looks brilliant, one of the things i want to do before i die is skydive, noit sure i would have the ******** to just jump off a mountain, but i would definatly jump out a plane, especially like a c-130 where you could take a run up haha if youre doing it solo of course
Old 19-01-11, 01:09 AM   #8
beabert

edit
Old 19-01-11, 08:37 AM   #9
robbie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
Exactly. 'Gliding' at 170mph is still flying at an insane speed.
'It isn't flying! It's falliinggg with style!'
Old 19-01-11, 10:15 AM   #10
Owenski

I've seen the docu about the guy hitting the bridge, they're all bloody crackers falling within feet of obsticales doing something which has no safety margin, if it goes pete tong you're brown bread.

The guy who hit the bridge disintergrated, splattering the guy who was following him as he flew through a cloud of bloody and body parts... yup, they're mums must be sooooooo proud.