SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-12-13, 01:32 PM   #1
ZER0

Default Newbie saying 'Hi' with queries...

Hi guys and girls,

Looking at getting a bike again after 12 years away. Past test about 4 & a half years ago but not had the money due to wife , kids, house etc!

But got the money in the bank now and looking at the SV650S.

I'm interested in the one Paiste has in the 'for sale' section...

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=206304

But I am put off by the high milage! What are these bikes like for milage ? Is 38k ok? Would suspension or anything else need looking at or is it ok with regular services?

Does anyone know any info about this bike? Any issues or common faults I should look for?

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Mike.
Old 23-12-13, 01:56 PM   #2
atassiedevil

Default Re: Newbie saying 'Hi' with queries...

Mines on 66k with no issues. Treat it right, it'll do you well. There's at least one i know of with over 100k on it, thats being used for racing.
Like anything else, if you look after it properly it'll last.
Old 23-12-13, 01:59 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

That ones only got 33k on the clocks, which is nothing for a well looked after SV, which that one looks to be well above average.

Stock suspension would benefit from upgrading, even if its got OEM shocks on at that mileage, most have been replaced by that mileage.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-13, 02:17 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Condition is more important than mileage. Condition is usually a good indication of how well it's been looked after and thus likely maintained thoroughly. Many "faults" are simply maintenance issues, stuff like brake calipers sticking, corrosion in electrical connectors etc.

Things to add into the equation when looking at any bike are tyre condition (£250 a pair typical), chain/sprocket condition (£120 a set typ), brake pads/discs (pads £60 a set typ), battery (£50 typ). These all add up especially when budget is important. New tyres for a £5k bike are the same as for a £1k bike, but percentages are very different. Steering head bearings can be a bit pricey if you can't do it yourself.

On the plus side that one has a Scottoiler (excellent addition), bobbins, paddock stand, std exh included if you want it etc. I don't know about the price but it seems well worth a look, plus being an org. member it has credibility compared to a completely unknown bike.
Old 23-12-13, 02:55 PM   #5
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atassiedevil View Post
Mines on 66k with no issues. Treat it right, it'll do you well. There's at least one i know of with over 100k on it, thats being used for racing.
Like anything else, if you look after it properly it'll last.

the sv engine is a cracker! and with not that much maintenance they can easily go on well over 100k miles. mine is still going very strong at 60k odd miles and all I really do to it is change the oil and filter at the required intervals. then ofc just do brake pads etc as and when they're needed.

you won't find a better or more forgiving bike to get back into biking on, it's still my first bike and I've been riding for about 6 years now n am 27.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-13, 03:30 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Buyers market just now.Cash in hand is useful especially for private sales.Dont be afraid to look at several and buy the best deal on offer.
Old 23-12-13, 04:10 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

Hello and welcome. The important points about condition have already been made, I've worked on some sheds with 20,000 miles on them, and been pleasantly surprised by some 100,000 mile bikes.

Decide what you want to spend and buy the one in the best condition for that money, the bike's changed so little since about 2004 that it's pretty much a case of picking one you like the colour and condition of

Jambo
Old 23-12-13, 04:30 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

How doo

That bike you've linked is only run in as Jambo's said it hasn't changed much in the last 10 years
As everyone has said you get snotters with 20k on them, I've seen several as of late. Its a buyers market this time of year

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-13, 04:58 PM   #9
ZER0

Thanks for replies guys.

Good to know milage isn't an issue as long as it's been looked after.
I'll do some more research and pm the chap.