SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-06-07, 05:17 PM   #1
Redster

Default *nods*

Hello forumites,

I've been riding for a week now after passing the DAS and one thing I've noticed above all else (bar the leaking oil and knocking noises coming from me engine) is the other bikers on the road.

Case in Point:
Last weekend I rode from London to Southampton to see me mum (ahhhh) and show of my shiney (leaky knocky) bike off. I decided that an hour on the M3 at 70-80mph was not wise for an utter n00b who frankly ****s it at 70mph cause of the crosswinds, so i headed off round the M25 and then down the A32 to winchester. Great road btw.

Anyhoo, I passed at least 5 bikers on the road and they all gave a cursory nod as I sped off (at no more than 70mph).

Is this normal behaviour? I remember getting flashed by other Mini's when I got me first mini, but bikers seem to send a nod at everyone else on any sort of bike. Its pretty cool actually.

This is not so true in the central london area. Now theres a shock.

Red
Old 20-06-07, 05:21 PM   #2
riktherider

Default Re: *nods*

yea general procedure around most bikers. more than likely the bikers in london are either working, or going to work, so dont tend to nod ( i only nod at someone if they nod at me when im going to work now as my neck started to hurt and i think this applies to most other riders as well.) allways nod if im just cruising around.
Old 20-06-07, 05:23 PM   #3
ASM-Forever

Yep thats standard....just a courtesy really.

N.B. In city rush hour this may well go out the window as people dodge between buses/pedestrians etc...you are not invisible
Old 20-06-07, 05:25 PM   #4
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
you are not invisible
except to car/van drivers coming out of side roads who do their best to try and squish you.
Old 20-06-07, 05:41 PM   #5
ASM-Forever

Bah smartass
Old 20-06-07, 05:46 PM   #6
Ceri JC

Yep, normal behaviour, but generally not done in London due to sheer volume of bikes (although some are obviously v. friendly).
Old 20-06-07, 05:49 PM   #7
Posky

In America everyone waves (so long as it is on a long straight and at an on-coming bikes). The wave is really just the left hand out. I've even noticed less waves on certian types of bikes and FROM certian types of bikes/bikers. Harley to Harley is the most common, followed by cruiser to cruiser waves. Sport bikes seem to get and give less waves -especially from H-D riders. But there are a lot of people that will throw a hand out to just about everyone.

Most people don't wave in the city though, it's just not safe.

As far as nods, that's a higher level greeting. When I nod it can mean any of the following. It's just another hand signal that in the world of motorcycling!

*Wave* = "Hi!" OR "We like motorcycles!"
*Nod* = "I know you!" OR "Nice bike/car." OR "I understand."
*Nod* + Engine Rev = "Let's play!"
*Pat top of helmet or head* = "Police!"
*Pat fuel tank* = "I need fuel."
*Pat crotch* = .... well that's more for me and my friends. But let me tell you it ISN'T nice and sometimes it gets mistaken for "I'm hungry." WHICH IS NOT WHAT IT MEANS!
Old 20-06-07, 05:49 PM   #8
Tiger 55

There was a whole noddy thread (with poll) not long back. You're right, it is pretty cool
Old 20-06-07, 05:50 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
(although some are obviously v. friendly).
You wouldn't happen to be talking about Grinch there would you??

Yup, normal practice. I laugh at the ones that don't nod back.
Old 20-06-07, 05:51 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Yea, I nod, and i get nodded at. If im feelign particularly chirpy, or see another SV, i'll wave!

Most bikers in london are couriers I guess, so bikes arnt so much a pleasure thing (hence nod at other peoples bikes) but more a work tool

Matt