SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-06-07, 09:03 AM   #21
plowsie

Default Re: My CBT/DAS...the story so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Words can't describe how **** I was at my CBT 5 attempts it took. Though that was mainly confidence issues after the first being catastrophically awful, took me as much time to get over that as it did to learn the stuff I was having trouble with.
I've known someone crash into a bush on his CBT and still pass.... How did it take you 5 attempts?
Old 20-06-07, 09:25 AM   #22
mr slipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by «Ŵìđéßõ¥» View Post
ah you'll pass is surprisingly easy when i did mine felt like i was out 10 mins plus the assessor was in a car very easy to lose best thing is if you miss a turn or anythink just say the radio was crackly
I missed a left turn on my test yesterday. lol. blamed it on the radio aswell. Still passed though, with 2 minors, both for resting my foot on back brake and making the back break light turn on.

Cant wait till i get a bike now, but have to wait till 11th of july now though.
Old 20-06-07, 09:30 AM   #23
Ping

Ah, I dropped my bike SO many times during my DAS... and after (every bike i've ever ridden - bar one...).

Once you get used to handling the odd weight of bikes it doesn't happen so frequently if at all (apart from years down teh road when you're SO confident you forget yourself in front of a big crowd of people and oops! over it goes. ).

As for putting the bike on the centre stand, it really is mostly about technique rather than brute strength. Saying that I bought a bike with no centre stand after passing my test AND I put the side stand down before I get off now... seems the more sensible option.

btw I passed my DAS on the second go (4 day intensive course, no previous motorbike experience), so don't worry. Not everyone passes first time and it's no biggy if you don't either. Keep your head screwed on and you'll be fine.
Old 20-06-07, 10:30 AM   #24
LouLou

Thanks everybody, I really do feel better about the whole thing now I know that I'm not the only one who's struggled. It's just when you see people out with their bikes they usually seem so natural and confident but I guess that just comes with time.

I'm taking the 125 out for a spin on my own this Saturday, hopefully everything will just click and I'll get on better...I remember feeling a lot better about driving when I was able to get on with it on my own
Old 20-06-07, 10:53 AM   #25
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I still managed to drop my SV at ooooohhhh 0mph, into a bush in my front garden!!
Ohhh, I manged to do that one on a GPZ500S and got completely stuck under it Hubby helped get the bike off me when he'd finished laughing at me Was picking thorns out of my legs for weeks!

Good luck with your DAS LouLou
Old 20-06-07, 10:53 AM   #26
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

I didn't do DAS i did a year on CBT then had 1 lesson before doing my test which i failed... twice!

as for dropping bikes well i still do it, funniest one was there used to be a small tree next to my driveway which was in the way of getting the bike in and out so i decided to dig it out, which left a hole about a foot wide and a foot deep. Then i decided to take the bike out for a spin, so htere i am pushing the bike backwards up the drive, car on 1 side and the big hole that i'd just made on the other. Put my foot in the hole fell over still holding onto the throttle redlined it as it fell against the car
Old 20-06-07, 06:10 PM   #27
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
I've known someone crash into a bush on his CBT and still pass.... How did it take you 5 attempts?
Largely because of the confidence thing- I just wasn't happy to go on the road at all for... The first 3, maybe? Didn't feel remotely safe.

Also because I used the honest CBT place near mine, not the crooked one- I could've got the certificate just for having a pulse at the bad one (they passed a friend of mine without ever going on the road- he binned his Gilera and broke his hand after about half an hour in the yard, and they still passed him.) My place, CSM, aren't like that at all- of the 12 or so others that were doing CBTs at the same time as me, only about 8 got their ticket the first time, you have to do pretty well there before they'll pass you. (most of the pizza places refuse to use them, as too many people need to resit)

But tbh, no honest CBT place could have passed me after the first couple of times, I was just dismal. Never fell off once, but that doesn't actually matter- falling off is no detriment to a CBT pass, as long as you ride to an overall adquate standard.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-07, 08:03 AM   #28
plowsie

This brings me onto the n0bs on scooters really. They get passed for even turning up, hence being d1ckheads on the scooters.
Old 21-06-07, 08:20 AM   #29
LouLou

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Largely because of the confidence thing- I just wasn't happy to go on the road at all for... The first 3, maybe? Didn't feel remotely safe.
I didn't feel safe the first time I went out on the road...the main roads were ok...it was just horrible in town cos I didn't feel as in control as I'd like to be. I'm used to driving my car which feels a whole lot more natural and there were times when I just thought what have I got myself into...learning to drive was horrible too tho lol
Old 21-06-07, 08:44 AM   #30
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou View Post
I didn't feel safe the first time I went out on the road...the main roads were ok...it was just horrible in town cos I didn't feel as in control as I'd like to be. I'm used to driving my car which feels a whole lot more natural and there were times when I just thought what have I got myself into...learning to drive was horrible too tho lol
Yeah, that's how i felt, more or less... The more you ride, the more experience, the more natural and safe you feel because your confidence with your control of the bike increases.

I didn't get a bike for a year after I passed and for the first 6 months or so I was terrified before every ride, but now ees all gooood yes!