SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-08, 09:07 AM   #1
AndyW

Default Crash mushroom/bung/slider advice

After having drooped my k6S at < 15mph twice, and lost the indicator and rear brake lever both times, what can I stick on it to stop this?
General idea is to stop bits breaking if it just falls over. Scuffed paint I can live with, a 70+ bill every time....

Currently using Motrax DHM mushrooms. (well singular, the big nylon head fell off one last time).

Swapping to micro indicators any good? Thoughts?
Old 13-02-08, 11:29 AM   #2
pencil shavings

Default Re: Crash mushroom/bung/slider advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
After having drooped my k6S at < 15mph twice, and lost the indicator and rear brake lever both times, what can I stick on it to stop this?
General idea is to stop bits breaking if it just falls over. Scuffed paint I can live with, a 70+ bill every time....

Currently using Motrax DHM mushrooms. (well singular, the big nylon head fell off one last time).

Swapping to micro indicators any good? Thoughts?
what crash protection have you got already? EDIT: ok, just read your post properly. you can also put cotton reals on the forks, a cover on the exhaust but thats about it. I have R&G crash bungs. lots of different ones, everyone has their own oppinion.

my advice DO NOT change the indicators for mini ones, they act as crash protectors as standard. So you are breaking your indicator instead of your top fairing. I know what I would rather break. This is the only reason why I havent changed mine to mini led ones.

Not sure if you can do anything to protect the brake lever

Last edited by pencil shavings; 13-02-08 at 11:32 AM. Reason: because i actually read his post properly this time (im assuming Andy is a he)
Old 13-02-08, 11:51 AM   #3
ooger

+1 on leaving the indicators as stock - if you intend dropping it some more. They're nice and bendy, after they smash.

....You'll regret it when you need new fancy indicators AND a new fairing.

I've got Chewys crash bungs, and they're not too bad to look at in my opinion (granted mine is black so they blend in rather than stick out), though I don't plan on using them......
Old 13-02-08, 11:52 AM   #4
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooger View Post
+1 on leaving the indicators as stock - if you intend dropping it some more. They're nice and bendy, after they smash.

....You'll regret it when you need new fancy indicators AND a new fairing.

I've got Chewys crash bungs, and they're not too bad to look at in my opinion (granted mine is black so they blend in rather than stick out), though I don't plan on using them......
Following my off monday, the indicators and R&G's saved the bike. No way on earth will I replace the front ones for minis, saved the majority of the front fairing.

Drew

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 01:56 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

DHMs are mince IMO, not very strong and not very protective. R&G are OK, personally I always recommend Motosliders, I've tried (and tested!) all the R&Gs and the Motosliders have performed better each time, plus they're pretty cheap. GSG Moko are also very good, but more expensive. The old JHS ones were fantastic but good luck finding them.

To be fair though, the brake levers are exposed, they're always likely to take a beating. If you adjust it as high as it can, it tucks it in a wee bit more but the crash bungs would need to be about twice as long to remove any chance of it touching down.

Indicators... I can see it both ways, SV indicators are more likely to touch down but less likely to cause damage than most aftermarkets, so there's a bit of give and take. But you do see an awful lot of fairings punched in around the indicator hole, if the indicator doesn't get out of the way it'll break the plastics. I used to use mini indicators mounted with soft plastic, so that if they touched down the backing plate would snap and the fairing would be saved, seemed to work.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 05:45 PM   #6
maultin

i put handguards on last week from a V-strom.
they 'might' offer some protection for levers.
they are not exactly made of granite, but the might just move the levers out of the way instead of them snapping

totally agree with prev' post about indicators being a better brake than fairing.
i dont have fairing so as soon as i can get the money together mine are coming right of in favour of minis
Old 13-02-08, 06:00 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

For mushrooms, go with Motosliders.

As for indicators, the OEM one's have some flex in them and I would say they would stand up better in a accident than many aftermarket ones (Just cost more thats all). Plus they protect the bodywork more by absorbing a lot of the impact before passing it on to the fairing.