SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-02-06, 04:44 PM   #1
Mervin

Default I dont have the horn!

So I was about to book up an MOT this afternoon so I can flog my SV with a full 12 months. I get to a roundabout and some daft **** cuts me up. I use my horn. Nothing.

Now I know I got my earplugs in so maybe I just cant hear it. Try it at home on the stand. Nothing.

I've undone the horn unit and plugged it directly into my battery. Nearly blew my head off. Works a treat.

I've checked all the wiring. It all seems to be ok.

I've checked the switch. Ditto.

But the blood horn will not work when set up!

Any clues??
Old 07-02-06, 05:06 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Mine have just stopped working too, maybe it's infectious?

Is it a standard horn?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 05:08 PM   #3
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

It's right in the path of the crap off the front wheel. Take it off, disconnect the wires and clean the terminals. Spray some WD40 in the connectors and put it all back together. It might just be the corrosion that has stopped it working.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 05:18 PM   #4
Mervin

Yup - standard horn.

Cleaning hasn't worked....
Old 07-02-06, 05:26 PM   #5
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

mine had a wire that had partially snapped but i couldn't really seeit till actually broke the wire while i was checking it. the horn worked when i turned left though
Old 07-02-06, 05:40 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

I had a very similar problem...and i couldnt undo the bolt to get it off either.
So a toothbrush helped clean it up a bit and i think it was just a random bit of grit between the two plates stopping it from working.
It didnt work after i tested it a few times and i thought i'd have to get a new one.
Next day, it was fine, dunno why and has worked ever since.

I still reckon it was a random bit og grit between the plates but if yours worked when connected directly then i'd suggest you run some new wiring to it seperately to the one thats there already. Maybe it works at one angle and not another. Silly i know but its a maybe.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 06:53 PM   #7
independentphoto

Brand new K5 at this end. Picked it up in August, rode a wee bit here and there (oh yeah- and there too), nice dry weather - horn packs up. Let it "cool" down and bingo off it goes again. Just how hot I ask myself?

I reckon the std horn is just shoot. I'm tempted to have a look at aftermarket like Jim@55 has fitted. They'd be LOUDER too which can't be bad.

You could try fidling with the tuning screw on a std disc horn since perhaps the set frequency is just right for generating its own heat - who knows?

Cheers,
Garry
Old 07-02-06, 09:16 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

If it's not working at all, ever, then it's probable that you have a wiring/connection fault rather than the well documented rubbish horn syndrome. When checking remember that the horn is switched on the neutral, (ground), that is; it's permanently live and the neutral is simply grounded when you press the button.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 10:49 PM   #9
jim@55

change it ,,get ring/fiamm ones @about 15£ from halfwits ,,,,much btr (really loud and easy to fit,eh garry )
Old 07-02-06, 10:50 PM   #10
Saint Matt

When mine packs in I'm going to fit some airhorns I think. Can't be too hard, and there's loads of room behind the fairings.