SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-01-07, 12:28 PM   #1
dizzzzz

Default rebuilding SVS, do I have a choice of motor?

Hi guys,

I have a year 2000 SVS, curvy blue, its been off the road for the last 9 months, as it seriously needed some love and care. its clocked over 50000 miles as my everyday bike, and winters and lack of proper maintenance time has taken its toll. I bought my rsvr last year so I could take the sv off the road and work on it, and now I finally have the time. Anyway, its mostly sorted except for the engine, which is feeling old. does anyone know if I can swap my 2000 model carb'd motor out, and drop a fuel injected engine in its place? It would be nice to have the FI, if I'm going to replace the whole motor anyway.

thanks a lot guru's.
Old 14-01-07, 02:38 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

You can swap the motor, but it's not that easy- mainly because the FI doesn't fit under the tank. And of course you'd need to replace basically the whole wiring loom if you made it fit, plus engine management, and exhaust. And you'd need to find a fuel pump that'd pressurise the rail too, I doubt the carbed model one has enough shove. TBH SV FI isn't particularily good anyway, and it's so much hassle to fit it, that very few people if any would call it worthwhile.

Fitting a FI motor and using the carbs has been done, though- means swapping the exhaust (for oil cooler clearance- or relocate the cooler), and assorted bits in the generator, and the carb unions. But depending on what FI engine you use, it might actually give you weaker rods, or the wobblier bottom end, or the cases that can crack. Less oiling issues, mind.

I'd use a carbed motor, in case you hadn't gathered Though first, I'd do compression tests etc on yours, could be a new top end would sort it nicely since the bottoms can be good for a lot more miles- if it's wheezy or leaky, but not rattly, that is Buy a decent nick engine with a spun bearing but intact crank (they're scrap, not worth repairing, and so cheap) and swap bits.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote